Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stepdaughter, on phone, sounding sombre: Hi Col! Just a quick call to tell you that I finally got my results from the university ...

ColinJ: Oh, about time too! Did you manage to get your II/I then?

SD: No. I was wrong when I said that I had done just enough to get a II/I if I did a really good project.

CJ: Oh, never mind, love. So, you got a II/II?

SD: I'm afraid that I didn't manage to get a II/II either! :sad:

CJ (very disappointed, but trying not to sound it!): You did pass though, didn't you? :whistle:

SD: Yeah, I did, but I only managed to get a ... FIRST! I got 91% on the project and it lifted my average to over 80%.:thumbsup:

CJ: YAY! :bravo:
We knew she was bright from when she was a toddler. I remember reading her Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator when she was pre-school. She enjoyed it so much that she got me to start again at the beginning the night after we finished it.

After another couple of weeks we were half way through the book for the second time. She was looking very tired and was dozing off. I was tired too but had promised that we would read to the end of that chapter. I thought I could get away with skipping a couple of pages, so I skipped ahead and carried on reading. Her eyes opened and she sat up in bed - "You missed some out!" she declared crossly. She took the book from me, turned back to the exact line that I skipped from and said "Start there!" :eek:

It seemed that she could read the words ... I asked her what the sentence said and she told me. I thought that it was possible that she had memorised that part of the story so I turned ahead to some random sentence and she read that out for me too! We had accidentally taught her to read before she had even started school ... :laugh:

Ganymede

Veteran
We knew she was bright from when she was a toddler. I remember reading her Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator when she was pre-school. She enjoyed it so much that she got me to start again at the beginning the night after we finished it.

After another couple of weeks we were half way through the book for the second time. She was looking very tired and was dozing off. I was tired too but had promised that we would read to the end of that chapter. I thought I could get away with skipping a couple of pages, so I skipped ahead and carried on reading. Her eyes opened and she sat up in bed - "You missed some out!" she declared crossly. She took the book from me, turned back to the exact line that I skipped from and said "Start there!" :eek:

It seemed that she could read the words ... I asked her what the sentence said and she told me. I thought that it was possible that she had memorised that part of the story so I turned ahead to some random sentence and she read that out for me too! We had accidentally taught her to read before she had even started school ... :laugh:
That's so great. My elder sister taught herself to read using a Dr Seuss book - the Honey Tree. She learnt the verse as it was read to her and just worked it out. Then she taught us to read and write - I remember her teaching me to write my name when I was four. Roald Dahl though - that's impressive!

- and incidentally her good English is probably what swung that result - I studied science at OU and one very science-y bloke I studied with was amazed at how clear my prose was. "I thought all you arty types were all woolly and fluffy" quoth he. No, I said, I've spent my whole life analysing text for meaning and doing research into characters from all walks of life, so it kinda trains you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
incidentally her good English is probably what swung that result - I studied science at OU and one very science-y bloke I studied with was amazed at how clear my prose was. "I thought all you arty types were all woolly and fluffy" quoth he. No, I said, I've spent my whole life analysing text for meaning and doing research into characters from all walks of life, so it kinda trains you.
Funnily enough ... she got into languages. After trying various different ones, she eventually chose to study German. She told me yesterday that she is probably going to do a Dutch course next year. She can already speak colloquial Dutch but fancies taking it to a higher level.

Ganymede

Veteran
Funnily enough ... she got into languages. After trying various different ones, she eventually chose to study German. She told me yesterday that she is probably going to do a Dutch course next year. She can already speak colloquial Dutch but fancies taking it to a higher level.
Wow. And funnily enough, my clever elder sister's clever eldest son is doing similar - in his final year doing heaven knows how many modern languages at Warwick, and loves Dutch. A love of language is a wonderful thing.

Ganymede

Veteran
Me (looking for decorative knobs for the cupboard doors): Aw I love these, I'll get them
Mr G: BREASTS!
Me: Eh?
Him: Look again, my dear one...

owl doorknob.jpg

Men are different from women...

Ganymede

Veteran
Guess what I see here ... :whistle:

View attachment 73537

:laugh:
:laugh:
Not all men are different to women... I saw an owl
But with colin's post the LHS is definitely amusing :biggrin: the other 2 not as much...

It just wouldn't have occurred to me to see breasts... but now I can't have owl doorknobs :cry:

I'll get over it.

subaqua

What’s the point
Me: "Oh ffs the packets open and some of the screws are missing"
Mrs C: "How many have you got?"
Me: "ermm...let's see.......8. And they've only sent eight rawl plugs too, so some of them must have fallen out"
Mrs C: "How many do you need?"
me:"16"
Mrs C: "How many bars are there?"
Me:"4"
Mrs C: sounding puzzled "huh. 4 bars, 2 holes per bar is...........?"
Me: ....................................................."I'm having a moment. The packet being ripped made me assume some were missing!"
Mrs C: "Just wait 'till I tell the boys about their fathers maths"
Me: "It was a moment, I can do maths, I did a fecking engineering degree......."
KkUB0dL.jpg

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Have 9 year old son after school tonight.. we catch up for the week since I saw him last...

Son: We saw Uncle Simon last weekend, you know he's a policeman?
Me: Yes, I know
Son: Well, he gave me one of his old helmets, he had his number written in it like my school stuff...
Me: Hmm...Dodgy lot in Police HQ then, got to mark your stuff.. What was his number then?
Son: I don't know...it was a big one.
Me: Can't be that big, they only have four digits...
Son: Dad..I'm 9. 47 is a big number to me.
:blink:

Top Bottom