Give me your best interview advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I seem to be getting better at applying for jobs and I'm getting interviews, but not the job offer.
I really need a new job, so what are your top tips??

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I always make them laugh. Just the once. The more people there are on the panel, and the more formal it is, the more determined I am to make them laugh. EDIT: Also, try to make them feel comfortable, pretend that they're the nervous ones and its your job to put them at ease.

Make sure you smile and act relaxed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Research the company. There is nothing worse than interviewing someone who knows nothing about the place they are trying to get a job at.

If they sell stuff and it is practical turn up with something of theirs.
Top tips. If it's at all possible without looking contrived, try to arrive equipped to ask one or two genuine questions that demonstrate how you've done this homework and are genuinely thinking about whether they'd be a good match for you.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
^^Yes, this is very, very good advice, but you need to make sure that the answers they give look like they fit in with what you want, then you can look delighted and they'll think they're brilliant too.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
In the late fifties my Uncle was getting peed off with being turned down for medical school. In those days it was very much class based, who your parents were and who you knew not what you knew.

Went for an interview at Guys. Panel of two British blokes and an Australian.

" Tell me Trollor, are any of your family in the medical profession? " asked one of the Britishers.

" No sir" replied my Uncle, " but my aunt has a first aid certificate from St. John's "

The Australian guy burst out laughing. Two weeks later my Uncle received a letter to say he'd been accepted.

A few years after becoming a GP he and his young family emigrated to.....Australia. (Ok, know it would have sounded better if I'd said Canada!)

Not sure if there's any advice to be had there, other than try not to heap too much pressure on yourself and stay relaxed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I got my present job because I was frustrated with the crapness of my previous employer, from where I had resigned in disgust. Afterwards my new boss told me my frustration had come across loud and clear; I knew what I wanted to do and how to do it and just needed a place. Best advice I can offer is: be relaxed, ask as many questions as you answer because people are judged by what they ask, not what they say.

potsy

Rambler
When I got made redundant 3 years ago I was extremely worried about any potential job interviews, having not had one for nearly 20 years so was not exactly well practiced.

I ended up having 4 in a few short weeks, got offered 3 of the 4 jobs, only 1 I was unsuccessful in ( but got offered that job too a few weeks later)

All I did was turn up on time, look relatively smart, and answer all their questions honestly.

No idea how I did it as I was very nervous, but if I can do it then so can you, think positive :okay:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Main thing is not to undersell yourself. On the other hand, don't lie either. You will get found out.

When talking about your experience and qualities, be specific - don't use vague terms like "I'm a team player"; talk about things you have done that demonstrate you are a team player and let them come to that conclusion themselves.

Top Bottom