Give me your best interview advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Avoid jargon. Much of it is meaningless rubbish anyway, and you don't want to risk using an inopportune term, or one they might quizz you more deeply on.

Get plenty of sleep the night before, be cool, and learn the various masonic handshakes.

The jargon advice is good. As for the masonic bit I can see why the long socks, you might need to roll up your trouser leg.

pplpilot

Guru
When they start asking stupid psychobabble questions they learnt on a course stand up and walk out. You don't want to be working for a hobby psychologist.

vickster

Legendary Member
When they start asking stupid psychobabble questions they learnt on a course stand up and walk out. You don't want to be working for a hobby psychologist.
In interviews for market research execs, we quite often ask those questions as they do indicate the types of people who make good analytical researchers

For most jobs, however, they are probably just bollocks as you say!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
try and andwer

One caveat on that - if you have a technical interview / interview by the recruiting manager, followed by the HR / psychobabble interview - then you have got the job providing you don't muff the 2nd one. Don't relax too much for that one - easy to do as the first one will have gone well after all, take care, and just try and appear normal and sensible. But if you get the job it'll be the proper manager you'll have as a boss not the amateur psychologist HR type.

MarkF

Guru
I've been pretty lucky, I had my first 2 interviews when I was young and lied my head off. I didn't get the first job because I was early so I killed time by buying a double egg fried sandwich from the local cafe, I bit into it and the egg shot all over my tie and shirt. That put me off and I looked a mess. I got the second job along with a company car, I didn't have a driving license! Later in life I interviewed plenty and I'd be very surprised if many were 100% honest.

As others have said, you must make sure everything written to them, is well written and has zero spelling errors, I mean, if you can't be bothered to check..............
Don't put any obstacles in the way of the employer, like travel issues, holidays booked, days/times that you'd prefer not to work, often leading questions are dropped in to illicit such responses.
Don't leave without saying clearly that you really want the job.
If there are local companies that you want to work for, then walk in and tell/ask them, I've seen jobs won this way
If you don't get the job and really did want it, then follow up with a letter saying how pleased you were to meet them, thanking them for the reply, and telling them you would appreciate it if your details were kept for if the vacancy arose again. You may have been 2nd/3rd choice. I've given jobs to people who did that rather than go through the interview process again which is PITA for a small business.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My last job I sent in an application as usual. Couple of weeks later at lunchtime knock on the door. I hated being disturbed at mealtimes but went to door. Man in the porch lit a fag and blew smoke in my direction as his dog pissed on the porch. " You wrote to me a couple of weeks ago" he said to which my reply was "so what I write to a lot of people". This was indeed my prospective new employer and I eventually got the job. He told me later his reaction to my initial response was that here was a really awkward sod and just the person he needed. The job certainly needed someone like that and we got on really well once I realised that he preferred to be challenged when required and that I take no nonsense from him. Not an approach I would normally recommend tho'.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lots of good advice. On the assumption that you'll be put through some sort of competency-based interview, one more from me - tell them what you, personally, did. I have interviewed countless candidates who take "What did you do?" as an invitation to say "We did this". Which I then have to followup by saying "And what did you do yourself?" - a question which quite often they can't answer.

I'm told by my HR colleagues that if you're interviewing at any reasonably large organisation you can find their standard set of interview questions online. It's not an assertion I've ever had reason to test!
So many times. Especially when interviewing those who work for the likes of Accenture et al. Thoroughly institutionalised.

gavgav

Guru
Having done a lot of recruitment over the past 6 months, leading on 7 sets of interviews, I would advise the following:-

Look on t'internet to see what the company/organisation is currently working on, and drop a few points found into your answers.

READ the job description and prepare scenarios that show your experience in a working environment and cover the main expectations (you would be amazed how many don't read it)

Be succinct with your answers, conveying the main points, but not too much "waffle"

Take a deep breath and a sip of water (if one is available) after each question is asked and before you answer. Gives you that moment to think and get clarity.

Prepare a couple of questions, no more than 2, for the end of the interview, but not ones that you could find answers to from the website of the company/organisation, as that shows a lack of research done.

Remember the "soft skills" I.e Team Player, Communciation, Empathy, Development, etc. These are buzz words that structured interviews look for (certainly in the NHS!)

Good luck

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Thought of another....

When I'm interviewing it's done in a posh room in college full of oil paintings and antiques, I'm fairly informal but the room is a bit intimidating. Once done in there I take the candidate for a tour of the garden, then it gets interesting!

Hands in pockets, 'yeah mate' and 'I dunno'

Once the formal stuff is over, don't switch off!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Eye contact, try not to look to nervous, answer short and to the point, giving all required info, no lies you get caught out or you might get caught out, as said do your homework re the company and if they are looking for flexibility in terms of hours worked and multi tasking , of course,no problem.

Passion has got me through on all the ones that I got a job offer on. So my one piece of advice is, think about whether you actually want that specific job. If you do, your passion will shine through. If you don't, it won't. The interviewers will feel it.

And make that connection in advance. Ring them up and ask about the role and slot a couple of things about your background in. It's not supposed to count really but if someone remembers you from before that's half the journey completed.

All the other advice is great too though.

Ps, the reality is that if you're getting interviews but missing out you're probably already meeting the bar, just unlucky on the day or someone else did slightly "better"... So don't be afraid of how you're already approaching things!

bruce1530

Guru
Ps, the reality is that if you're getting interviews but missing out you're probably already meeting the bar, just unlucky on the day or someone else did slightly "better"... So don't be afraid of how you're already approaching things!

That’s very true.

I was recently asked to speak to someone who had unsuccessfully applied for a job, got an interview, but not got the job. They were quite dejected. I pointed out that there had been around 50 applicants for the job, and since only 6 were interviewed, then they were already amongst the top few percent.

I then said that only one person out the 6 could get the job, so there was always going to be 5 times as many unsuccessful candidates as successful. It’s just that one candidate fitted the criteria slightly better than the others.

Top Bottom