Give way to Pedestrians when turning into a road.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I saw a cyclist nearly run into a pedestrian today, when the cyclist was turning into a minor road, which the pedestrian was already crossing. .
Giveway to Pedestrians.png

Highway code. Road junctions (170 to 183)
Rule 170:

Take extra care at junctions. You should
. watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

Ifor I like the post, am I liking the fact a cyclist nearly took out a pedestrian, or the fact you quote the highway code?

Ah what the hack, I'm gonna like it and let you all decide..

Drago

Legendary Member
Give way to any established traffic when turning into a new road. It's hardly news, been that way since Ug first put stone wheels on a log.

And why has the car driver turned the wheels when he/she is not yet able to move? Someone punts it up the rear it'll be pushed over that poor pedestrian. Mind you, better she is taken away by Ambo than the fashion police.

One city centre T junction was adjusted to have wider radius curves like in the video. Of course traffic speeded up dangerously so the council adjusted it back to a sharp turn.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I saw a cyclist nearly run into a pedestrian today, when the cyclist was turning into a minor road, which the pedestrian was already crossing. . View attachment 432579 .

Highway code. Road junctions (170 to 183)
Rule 170:

Take extra care at junctions. You should
. watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
Ah, but government campaigns can't publicise that rule more because it upsets motorists to be told they should let people cross the road anywhere, so it's not a surprise if a cyclist is unaware of it. ;)

I've never noticed the twin-tyre tracks turning in tight and mounting the kerb in that photo before. I guess even Highway Code examples are not safe from large vehicles mounting the pavements :sad:

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Ah, but government campaigns can't publicise that rule more because it upsets motorists to be told they should let people cross the road anywhere, so it's not a surprise if a cyclist is unaware of it. ;)

Then Rule 170 is potentially dangerous, it entices pedestrians into the road thinking that vehicles will give way to them.........
giveway-to-pedestrians-png.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends how thoroughly they've done their obs drills as to whether or not that's a problem. In the case on the average cyclist they will be fixated pretty much straight ahead so, yeah, it probably is a problem.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Is it just me or is that a really poor photo to use as an illustration ? To me it looks like the pedestrian has walked out in front of a car that was indicating to turn left. Within their rights of course but a bit of a gamble.

Top Bottom