Given up smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Thanks for the offer Phil, but I prefer to just ... stop. The psychological boost of knowing I just stopped is worth quite a bit to me!

11 days is good actually. The first 2 weeks are the worst.

If something happens outside your control though, and you slip outside your mindset, as even the toughest cookie in the world would, have the option of the supermarket pharmacy at the back of your head though... and get down there and stick 3 plastic cigs in your mouth if need be.

Abitrary said:
11 days is good actually. The first 2 weeks are the worst.

If something happens outside your control though, and you slip outside your mindset, as even the toughest cookie in the world would, have the option of the supermarket pharmacy at the back of your head though... and get down there and stick 3 plastic cigs in your mouth if need be.

I'll keep it in mind. Actually, now I think about it, I used to chew liquorice root when I was younger. I wonder if that would help?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I think the main thing is to do whatever you have to do to quit, everyone is different some people can just give up and some need help. I had hideous withdrawal symptoms for months and needed lots of help, so if you find you need help go and get it who cares how you give up just as long as you do.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I'll keep it in mind. Actually, now I think about it, I used to chew liquorice root when I was younger. I wonder if that would help?

The weakness is in the habit, not the er, liquorice taste. You know what I mean.

I found that it was a stress induced need to inhale on something that would break me.

Like I said, just know where the pharmacy is, and stick 3 in your gob if need be. Just don't inhale burning stuff again. Er, you are stopping smoking drugs as well aren't you?

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, I haven't smoked weed for ages. I don't mind the odd puff on a spliff, but I won't be keeping it around the house any more.

As long as you toke, you will want a cig. C'mon, it's the *oldest* truth known to mankind. If you give up for weeks, have a toke, and then smoke a normal cig... which you will do eventually, it will make you feel so stupid it will completely break your resolve... for years.

No smoking anything. Or at least find a way to take cannabis differently.

Or... if it's the actual *inhaling* of dope you like, then the plastic cigarettes will do! You won't beat me!

I know this ... that's why, this time, I'm not cadging the odd fag off people - I've stopped altogether. And I'm really not bothered if I never see another spliff. But equally, I think I'll be OK with a toke if there's one going round. It's hard to explain, but my mindset is different this time.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
It's hard to explain, but my mindset is different this time.

The 'hardness to explain' bit is simply misplaced optimism - maybe because of the spring.

In my 20 years of hanging around with tokers, I've *never* met one who can have even the occasional puff for pleasure, who doesn't also regularly smoke cigarettes. I shall leave you with that thought.

God you've got me scanning the kitchen for bits of banana skin and mouldy rivita to roll up now :tongue:

bonj2

Yeah right!:tongue::rolleyes:

From previous threads, you have shown yourself to be someone of the mindset that it's possible to be a cyclist AND a smoker. So, if you think you're going to give up smoking, you've got to answer the question: WHY?

Why are you giving up smoking?

If you're happy with your cycling despite the fact that you have the odd smoke, then what's the actual point in giving up smoking?

I gave up smoking ages ago and still don't even have so much as a drag despite regularly playing poker in rooms with smokers, because I notice the difference in my exertion ability in cycling and in my other sports, and I notice the difference in what pushing myself feels like. But if you don't value that difference, then you've got no chance, because if you don't notice (and value) any performance difference in physical activity then there simply IS NO point in not smoking. There's no evidence that you'll die earlier, supposedly.

You'll be back chuffing away on fags and spliffs before no time! And, to be honest, fair play to you, I'd enjoy it. I sometimes wish I wasn't competitive and liked cycling fast and beating people at sport through being fitter than they are, then I could enjoy a smoke round the poker table.

It's not that it was affecting my cycling, just that I'd found myself more bothered about the fact that my girlfriend didn't like me smoking and I was beginning to be unhappy with the affect that it was having on the rest of my life. I would still enjoy a rollie, and I'll always like the idea of being a cyclist who smokes, but I've decided it's not for me.
It wouldn't affect the sort of cycling I do, much - I was never interested in going particularly fast anyway.:tongue:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Hang in there, Rhythm! I'm trying to give up a longtime habit of chewing tobacco...gave it up for the umpteenth time, about the same time that you gave up cigs. This time, it's for real! Keep us posted. I'm really wishing you luck!

Top Bottom