Given up trying to buy winter boots that fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
After my 3rd attempt i am giving up and just going with overshoes :cursing:
The joys of having wide feet mean i cant get sizing right , they can be warm as toast but tightness across the toes means they end up uncomfortable .

Rant over and breathe !
zen_meditation_b_w_iphone_case_iphone_5_covers-rece1708ad6f3401880146e0189e83b4c_80cs8_8byvr_324.jpg

Attachments

• zen_meditation_b_w_iphone_case_iphone_5_covers-rece1708ad6f3401880146e0189e83b4c_80cs8_8byvr_324.jpg
    zen_meditation_b_w_iphone_case_iphone_5_covers-rece1708ad6f3401880146e0189e83b4c_80cs8_8byvr_324.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 45

steve50

Disenchanted Member
i have one pair of shimano cycling shoes that fit a treat, I made the mistake of ordering overshoes in the same size as my shoes, they were far too tight so ordered a size bigger, I now have the perfect combo of Shimano shoes and thermal lined neoprene overshoes that fit perfectly and keep my feet dry and very warm. Don't feel the need to buy winter boots.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
After my 3rd attempt i am giving up and just going with overshoes :cursing:
The joys of having wide feet mean i cant get sizing right , they can be warm as toast but tightness across the toes means they end up uncomfortable .

Rant over and breathe !
I feel your pain, and believe me it can be even worse as a female. I struggle with running shoes as well and sometimes buy mens which doesn't always work either as they don't hold snuggly enough at the heel.

As said above, I do believe Northwave are known to be one of the wider fits.

Attachments

• zen_meditation_b_w_iphone_case_iphone_5_covers-rece1708ad6f3401880146e0189e83b4c_80cs8_8byvr_324.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 45
image.jpeg

Specialized defroster (road SPD-SL cleat type)

image.jpeg

Specialized defroster trail As above, but with SPD type cleat fitting. The thing about these is that they have a wide fitting, so can take flipper feet, or normal feet, with thick socks. They are seriously warm as well :okay:.

I am yet to see a shoe that's supposed to have wide and narrow fits, actually being wider than it's narrow cousin. I made myself rather unpopular when I was still shopping around with optimism for wider shoes. I used to go shopping with a vernier. The assistant would say: "This shoe has a wide cut" and I would measure it across the widest part and compare to shoes with a supposedly narrow fit. They are all the same. I eventually found a New Balance sales rep that knew his stuff and we compared shoe widths in his van. 8 1/2 vs 8 1/2 EEE (wide fit). The soles were exactly the same width. He then took the issue up with the New Balance agent (his employer) who ignored us. The rep himself them took it up with the manufacturer and discovered that the width doesn't change, just the size of the toe box. In other words, there's a bit more material over the toes but not more width. This doesn't help if the problem is that you are actually spilling over the sides of the sole but have inches of space in front of the toes.

I kept up my pursuit of wider shoes but found none. The sales reps always claim they have a solution but my vernier doesn't lie. They get pretty defensive when I point this out. The search for truth isn't always an easy one.

From measurement - not hearsay, I can honestly tell you that there is no wider shoe than the norm. There may be an anomaly to this which I have not yet tested. Shimano has made a big song and dance a few years ago about some wider last they use - a Performance Last, if I remember correctly. That's the one shoe I have not yet measured.

Vernier.jpg

Here's a picture of a vernier for those who don't know. It is an instrument for measuring odd-shaped objects, holes and ridges, with precision.

potsy

Rambler
I took a chance when I got my Shimano Winter Boots, advice seemed to be to go a size up, I did and they are perfect.
Fit well with both thin and thick socks, usually wear them from October - April.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am yet to see a shoe that's supposed to have wide and narrow fits, actually being wider than it's narrow cousin. I made myself rather unpopular when I was still shopping around with optimism for wider shoes. I used to go shopping with a vernier. The assistant would say: "This shoe has a wide cut" and I would measure it across the widest part and compare to shoes with a supposedly narrow fit. They are all the same. I eventually found a New Balance sales rep that knew his stuff and we compared shoe widths in his van. 8 1/2 vs 8 1/2 EEE (wide fit). The soles were exactly the same width. He then took the issue up with the New Balance agent (his employer) who ignored us. The rep himself them took it up with the manufacturer and discovered that the width doesn't change, just the size of the toe box. In other words, there's a bit more material over the toes but not more width. This doesn't help if the problem is that you are actually spilling over the sides of the sole but have inches of space in front of the toes.

I kept up my pursuit of wider shoes but found none. The sales reps always claim they have a solution but my vernier doesn't lie. They get pretty defensive when I point this out. The search for truth isn't always an easy one.

From measurement - not hearsay, I can honestly tell you that there is no wider shoe than the norm. There may be an anomaly to this which I have not yet tested. Shimano has made a big song and dance a few years ago about some wider last they use - a Performance Last, if I remember correctly. That's the one shoe I have not yet measured.

View attachment 116035

Here's a picture of a vernier for those who don't know. It is an instrument for measuring odd-shaped objects, holes and ridges, with precision.
Height over the toe box is the issue i have mainly , i can fit in a normal width but they pinch over the top of the toes , the ones i am selling atm were bought as a size 8, i went a 43 but i put a thinner insole in which relieved the pressure a little but still to tight across the top unless i ride with no insole at all , now is this comfortable to do and warm ?
I might hang onto them if they are .
I did contact a seller with the next size up , ie 2 eu sizes to big and they said they are not wider as they come up a tight fit anyway.

Mike!

Guru
I ride with Sidi Mega (wide fit) as my summer shoes, only ones i found in my search so maybe their winter ones are worth a look?

I ride with Sidi Mega (wide fit) as my summer shoes, only ones i found in my search so maybe their winter ones are worth a look?
I've had a pair of Sidi Megas, and I can I can confirm that they are definitely not wider, just roomier in the toe box. Nice shoes though, I liked the Lorica fabric.

Top Bottom