Glasgow 20mph petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Following the decision by Edinburgh to introduce a 20mph limit on 80% of the city's streets, Go-Bike started a petition to have Glasgow City Council introduce the same scheme here. GCC tried to scupper this as reported in The Herald a couple of days ago:

The petition was due to go live by Friday but was stalled after staff in the roads department advised that establishing 20mph limits - as opposed to "zones" accompanied by traffic calming measures - required permission from Scottish Ministers. As a result, the group were told their petition was "not eligible".

However, when Transport Scotland pointed out that this was not in fact the case, the Land and Environmental Services revised their response and told the group on Friday that the petition "cannot be supported" because "not every road in Glasgow will be suitable for a 20mph limit".

The local authority added that it was already "working towards making all suitable residential roads mandatory 20mph zones or limits in line with its current resources".

They're a conniving bunch at GCC who are useless when it comes to making streets safer and encouraging healthier travel. So, if you are a resident of Glasgow and support the 20mph campaign, please sign it and spread the word.

https://www.glasgowconsult.co.uk/KMS/epetitions.aspx

The closing date is 7 March so there isn't much time left.

Thank you.

GC

AndyRM

XOXO
As a former resident of Glasgow, I have signed. Thankfully I can remember my old postcode!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As a former resident of Glasgow, I have signed. Thankfully I can remember my old postcode!
Did this work then? I was not allowed to sign because I live just outside the boundary, across the road, actually.
Will try again with my old postcode, ta for that!

Pat "5mph"

Only 183 signatures so far which I find both surprising and disappointing.
That's very few! Maybe folks think it's a waste of time?
I have noticed that on some 20mph streets cars are still racing.
I signed, had to use an old address, 'cause I live across the road in South Lanarkshire :laugh:

The trouble is, if you cut speeds in half, you get twice as much traffic.

Paul G

Pat "5mph"

Only 183 signatures so far which I find both surprising and disappointing.
We discovered today that if you try to access the petition from a phone (we tries 3 different phones on 3 different networks) the link come up with " security certificate revoked, access denied, do you want to continue?"
Maybe this put people off signing.
You must also click on a verifying email link for your signature to be counted, it could be some missed out this step.

snorri

Legendary Member
The trouble is, if you cut speeds in half, you get twice as much traffic.

Trouble is?
The increase in traffic will be made up of people encouraged by the safer and cleaner environment to walk and cycle. As 20mph areas are invariably urban areas with retail businesses a higher throughput of people can only be a good thing.

Tin Pot

Guru
Disagree.

Speed is the least significant factor to be addressed. So many other things should be done instead.

Disagree.

Speed is the least significant factor to be addressed. So many other things should be done instead.

Speed is the single most common factor in fatal KSI. No other factor comes close. This is basic human body physics, we can survive a collision while running at full speed, above that speed the likelihood of death rises dramatically, that's why 20mph zones see reductions in KSI rates of up to 40%, that's why you will be unable to name any other road safety initiative that can achieve such a reduction.

Top Bottom