Glasgow approaches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm embarking on a mini-tour that will finish in Glasgow, where I will catch a train back south.

I've got quite a bit of time and several route options once I get into Scotland, but the one thing that's certain is that I'll be approaching Glasgow from the south - could be south-east or south-west but nothing else.

Is there a partularly good way into Glasgow on a bike, ie. pleasant to ride and/or interesting things to see?

Also, if you had four hours or so in the city with a bike, what would you recommend going to see?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Calling @Pat "5mph"

Slick

Guru
I'm embarking on a mini-tour that will finish in Glasgow, where I will catch a train back south.

I've got quite a bit of time and several route options once I get into Scotland, but the one thing that's certain is that I'll be approaching Glasgow from the south - could be south-east or south-west but nothing else.

Is there a partularly good way into Glasgow on a bike, ie. pleasant to ride and/or interesting things to see?

Also, if you had four hours or so in the city with a bike, what would you recommend going to see?
There is a million ways into the city, it definitely depends on exactly what way you are coming or where you are coming from. I'm probably a bit biased, but I think coming up the west coast through Ayrshire. Are you planning on going to the city centre?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Like most cities, the suburbs aren't the most attractive in parts. NCN74 isn't too bad; it brings you in along the River Clyde with reasonably good cycle paths alongside. Or as above from @Slick , up the old A77, now a quiet road since the construction of the M77 (with cycle path alongside), into Glasgow from Kilmarnock. Once inside the city limits, keep on the A77 which has cycle lanes all the way to the city centre.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Once inside the city limits, keep on the A77 which has cycle lanes all the way to the city centre.

Depends how you define cycle lanes!

Once you’ve done the 3 mile descent of Ayr Rd (which is only a painted lane, albeit wider than it used to be) you are then on the horrible commuter 6 mile corridor into the city. Most of it has no cycle infra, unless you count about a mile of murder strip paint in the door zone along Kilmarnock Rd.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'll be approaching Glasgow from the south - could be south-east or south-west but nothing else.
This is very vague lol!
Have you got the bit of route, like from the town you are going to pass before getting into Glasgow?
Dates?
If I can, I'll pick you up and take you to the city on a safe(r) route.

If you have four hours or so, I would leave the bike (I know a few safe places), then hop on the tourist bus.
Google first what attractions interest you more, pick your stops.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Thanks all for the ideas and questions.

This is very vague lol!
Have you got the bit of route, like from the town you are going to pass before getting into Glasgow?
Yes, it's vague because my plans are still extremely vague, and will evolve as I go along. At the moment I think I have a lot of time - 6 days for about 450 miles - but I may fritter it away with lots of exploring and meandering, and slow going on the hills.

One plan is to go from Carlisle up to the Galloway Forest Park, around New Galloway, and get to the coast around Ayr, before turning back NE to Glasgow, so that would fit ideas from @Brandane and @Slick about the Ayr road. I wondered about coming in along the Clyde from the Port Glasgow direction, but looks like that's no good due to the M8 right along the shore.

Or alternatively I might come in from the Lanark direction, in which NCN74 might help.

If I can, I'll pick you up and take you to the city on a safe(r) route.
Thanks for the kind offer but you can see my kind of planning so I'd rather not make any arrangements for particular times and places. I'll be there next Wednesday but that's all I can say at the moment.

Once there I was hoping for a bit of sightseeing before catching my train. I'd like to see some of the grand late C19 architecture, but probably just from the outside as I whizz round for a lightning tour on my bike. I have a vague notion of seeing something of the West End and maybe anything Rennie Mackintosh related, or any other worthwhile buildings or streets. Is there a good area for lunch, a market or anything?

I'll do a bit more internet research too, but thanks for all your ideas.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
If you are thinking of the Port Glasgow direction, just PM me and I'll fill you in on anything you want to know..
you can use Route 75 and avoid the M8....
Two Rennie Mackintosh connections in nearby Kilmacolm but not visit-able, but you can cycle past and have a shuffty...
If I'm about I can show you...or direct you.
PM or post here..

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
If you are thinking of the Port Glasgow direction, just PM me and I'll fill you in on anything you want to know..
you can use Route 75 and avoid the M8....
Two Rennie Mackintosh connections in nearby Kilmacolm but not visit-able, but you can cycle past and have a shuffty...
If I'm about I can show you...or direct you.
PM or post here..
Thanks, I'll PM you nearer the time if I'm likely to be coming from that direction, but at the moment I think it's not that likely as the distance - N then E - will be greater and would rely on me making good progress.

Slick

Guru
Thanks all for the ideas and questions.

Yes, it's vague because my plans are still extremely vague, and will evolve as I go along. At the moment I think I have a lot of time - 6 days for about 450 miles - but I may fritter it away with lots of exploring and meandering, and slow going on the hills.

One plan is to go from Carlisle up to the Galloway Forest Park, around New Galloway, and get to the coast around Ayr, before turning back NE to Glasgow, so that would fit ideas from @Brandane and @Slick about the Ayr road. I wondered about coming in along the Clyde from the Port Glasgow direction, but looks like that's no good due to the M8 right along the shore.

Or alternatively I might come in from the Lanark direction, in which NCN74 might help.

Thanks for the kind offer but you can see my kind of planning so I'd rather not make any arrangements for particular times and places. I'll be there next Wednesday but that's all I can say at the moment.

Once there I was hoping for a bit of sightseeing before catching my train. I'd like to see some of the grand late C19 architecture, but probably just from the outside as I whizz round for a lightning tour on my bike. I have a vague notion of seeing something of the West End and maybe anything Rennie Mackintosh related, or any other worthwhile buildings or streets. Is there a good area for lunch, a market or anything?

I'll do a bit more internet research too, but thanks for all your ideas.
If you have loads of time I like my route up from Largs (fish supper is a must) through the many choices towards Stewarton or Dunlop or there is an old railway cycle path to Paisley apparently, although I've only done a few miles on that one myself as it's not the most scenic. Lots of choices from there, even if you wanted to head to Erskine and follow the Clyde all the way into town, although there will be lots of other options that would be quicker.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Thanks, I'll PM you nearer the time if I'm likely to be coming from that direction, but at the moment I think it's not that likely as the distance - N then E - will be greater and would rely on me making good progress.
If you even divert to take in the Rennie Mack stuff, one is obvious and well known but one isn't...
there is NCR 7 (?)from Ayr northwards, Brandane, Glasgow Cyclist and Slick can point you in that direction, I can help from Glengarnock, (KIlbirnie area) where you have a path to Glasgow with only a few short road sections.

Pat "5mph"

so that would fit ideas from @Brandane and @Slick about the Ayr road.
I've only cycled the Ayr road for a stretch, taking back roads to get there.
There is a wide cycle lane, with lots of parked cars.
We actually had a demo on that road not long ago.
Out of rush hours, it's fine even for a slow coach like me. The tricky bit is to get to town from the area, avoiding the chocked roads.
I know several shortcuts through parks and side lanes, once you have a more detailed plan let me know if you come that way.

I wondered about coming in along the Clyde from the Port Glasgow direction, but looks like that's no good due to the M8 right along the shore.
The NCN7 takes you all the way to the Clyde in the centre, iirc there's only one big hill just after Greenock.
The rest was fine on my hybrid, but last time I rode to Greenock, a few years ago, there was a landslide at Port Glasgow with a poorly sign posted diversion.
@Bobby Mhor will know if it's better now.

No way!
From Lanark till Glasgow you have to leave the Clyde Walkway (NCN74) several times, it becomes a jungle in several stretches.
I tried, we almost fell into the river trying to lift the bikes over ditches and trees.
I would take the roads from Lanark (visit Lanark Village and the falls of the Clyde),
until Blantyre or Cambuslang, then join the cycle route again.

I have a vague notion of seeing something of the West End and maybe anything Rennie Mackintosh related, or any other worthwhile buildings or streets. Is there a good area for lunch, a market or anything?
Yes, you can cycle to the West End along the Clyde, then come back and visit the city.
The West End is more vibrant that the city at the moment: especially Sauchiehall Street (top end of town) is a bit run down due to internet shopping and high rates.

Pat "5mph"

Forgot: I live in Rutherglen, which is around 30 miles from Lanark, so I could come meet you from that direction.

Top Bottom