Glasgow Green to Polmadie / Rutherglen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for ways to get extra miles in and am thinking of heading along the Clyde. Anyone know what the path is like? I was working on the river last year and there was certainly some unsavoury activities. Should I only proceed with caution?

Tetedelacourse

Eh, aye!

QuickDraw

I've never been east of the Green on my bike so I don't really know but I won't let that stop me.

Depends on the time of day. First thing in the morning you're unlikely to have any problems but any time after the schools are out could be more problematic.

If you're looking to avoid roads you might be better taking your detour west. I used to cycle from the squinty bridge past the SECC and then along the Kelvin behind The art galleries into Kelvingrove Park. The Kelvin cyclepath is good quailty and goes all the way to the Forth and Clyde Canal and will eventually take you all the way to Balloch - but that may be a bit far for a detour on the way home from work.

Have used the Squinty Bridge (will have to do the Bells Bridge for the next 6 months then...), up the NCN through Govan, round Pollok Park, sometimes doing the MTB trails and then either through Thornliebank and Rouken Glen, or else via the Whitecart to Linn Park.

I just wondered if the Green path would suffer from broken glass and maybe some of the other "social ills" that were going on around the weir.

Tetedelacourse said:
Not me as you know, but I lived there for 8 years so it's my adopted home. Are you from Glasgow originally?

Yes. I lived in Kennishead until I was 4 and then the family moved out to Erskine. I was there until I was 25 (life was far too easy living at home!) and then I moved into the West End. I now reside in the New West End (the bit that is a fair bit cheaper than the real West End and likes to consider itself part of the West End, but it isn't really!:tongue:)

I was willing to move, but I got the job I wanted in Glasgow and have progressed from there.

I do like living here. Just a nice size I think. So would you consider yourself a Weegie? or something else?

Tetedelacourse

No not a weegie, always an Edinburger, but one who prefers Glasgow to Edinburgh, even though I'm back through here now. Westies definitely have better patter!

Ha ha, yes the New West End, was there for 3 years.

Ah your like every other East Coaster, you want to be a Weegie, it's just most don't admit it...... :tongue::biggrin:

QuickDraw

Now now. There's good and bad on both sides.

Glasgow has football, openness, culture, hospitality, shopping, sense of humour etc and Edinburgh has...em... a big rock with a castle on it - a sort of Dumbarton with funny accents.

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:

Glasgow has football, only one sport, opennessugly residents, culturepoverty, hospitalitydesperation, shopping3 furra pouna!, sense of humouris a joke, etc and Edinburgh has...em... a big rock with a castle on it - a sort of Dumbarton with funny accents, class, money, beauty, a European seat of education and medicine, AIDS, no Scotsmen, Heroin by the smackload, crap football teams, snobs and a floral clock
Ha ha, so many years of this I could keep on all day!

Tetedelacourse;177801][QUOTE=QuickDraw said:

Glasgow has football, only one sport, opennessugly residents, culturepoverty, hospitalitydesperation, shopping3 furra pouna!, sense of humouris a joke, etc and Edinburgh has...em... a big rock with a castle on it - a sort of Dumbarton with funny accents, class, money, beauty, a European seat of education and medicine, AIDS, no Scotsmen, Heroin by the smackload, crap football teams, snobs and a floral clock
Ha ha, so many years of this I could keep on all day!

:biggrin:

Eeeeeeeenin tyyyyynnnness!

Top Bottom