Glasgow to Edingburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone.

Im looking at cycling to Glasgow to Edinburgh but would like to avoid any major roads. From what I can make out there are two NCN routes...The 754 via Falkirk and the 75 through Airdrie.
Im hoping someone can give advise on the above cycle routes or perhasps minor roads I can use.

Thanks for your time and replies,
James.

Grizzly

If your bike is suitable you can follow the path along the Forth and Clyde Canal then at the Falkirk Wheel follow the Union Canal into Edinburgh, I recon you could do it on a tourer as the paths are pretty good. You could also Google the Cycle For Scotland route, I've done this as part of the event and on my own and its fine, though I did go like the clappers through Easterhouse:heat: I've also went via Uddingston-Bellshill-Hollytown-Salsburgh-Harthill-Whitburn-Blackburn and into Livingston. From Livingston I headed north into Broxburn then followed the A89 into Newbridge, after that its along the joint cycle/footpath beside the A8 past the Airport and into Edinburgh. If you have an appropriate bike and want to take your time I'd go along the canals, with a lunch stop at the Falkirk Wheel its a great day out. If you have a road bike I'd go along the Pedal For Scotland route, there is a wee bit of a hill out of Avonbridge but its a good route with great views and plenty of places to stop for tea and cake.

Grizzly

Hi James, you originally asked the question in your welcome mat post and it seems to be well answered there.

Scoosh says "There are many wiser than I on the route you are considering and I would recommend you post it in either the General Cycling or Road Rides, Audax and Sportives section, where those knowledgeable souls will give you an overwhelming level of contradictory suggestions !"

So perhaps he is following advice from that previous post.

Top Bottom