Glasgow training loops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Anyone know any good roads around Glasgow that are interrupted by traffic lights? I commute down South Street which is quite long, and the Riverside to Hydro is good for a long sprint. Also some roads out of Renfrew towards Erskine Bridge, and round the back of Dobbie's Milngavie although that's a bit far from me.

Any good ones I'm missing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Anyone know any good roads around Glasgow that are interrupted by traffic lights? I commute down South Street which is quite long, and the Riverside to Hydro is good for a long sprint. Also some roads out of Renfrew towards Erskine Bridge, and round the back of Dobbie's Milngavie although that's a bit far from me.

Any good ones I'm missing?
Do you mean are not interrupted...?

@glasgowcyclist @pjd57 @Pat "5mph"
Might be able to help

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Georgetown straights(Houston Inchinnan) B790
used for TTs, head west and return east via roundabout at Crosslee/ Houston or carry on up a rise and turn back at the junction of the at A761 BofWeir
georgetown.jpg

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Georgetown straights(Houston Inchinnan) B790
used for TTs, head west and return east via roundabout at Crosslee/ Houston or carry on up a rise and turn back at the junction of the at A761 BofWeir
View attachment 493372

That's interesting, it's not far from the Erskine Bridge loop I do, and I can cross at the Clyde Tunnel or Renfrew Ferry too. Maybe a longer option out to Bridge of Weir and then back via Gleniffer Braes to Renfrew, will see how many miles that would be.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That's interesting, it's not far from the Erskine Bridge loop I do, and I can cross at the Clyde Tunnel or Renfrew Ferry too. Maybe a longer option out to Bridge of Weir and then back via Gleniffer Braes to Renfrew, will see how many miles that would be.
If I can help for info on any roads west of BofWeir let me know...
A set of traffic lights at BofWeir that end of the road..

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I'm pretty sure that's a Strava CC Ecosse segment: go beat us all! :laugh:

Ha, I can only see the hidden segment I set up but Strava tells me it's 0.9 miles and I did 2m25s heading west and 2m14s heading east. Not sure that helps me on a long distance ride though. :smile:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
If I can help for info on any roads west of BofWeir let me know...
A set of traffic lights at BofWeir that end of the road..

Maybe from BoW to the back of Gleniffer Braes, heading up to the car park in the sky? Is it just normal village main roads?

Slick

Guru
Maybe from BoW to the back of Gleniffer Braes, heading up to the car park in the sky? Is it just normal village main roads?
Good climb passed the carpark then you are heading my way from there. A good loop from there back to Howood, and either Houston, Inchinnan and home or Johnston, Paisley and home.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You could either head to Kilmacolm on the A761 then out the Lochwinnoch road (nice hill at Carruthmuir) then drop down into Lochwinnoch then join the cycle track to end at Glengarnock (the A737 is to be avoided, lousy surface and traffic full of Nigels) and then left to Beith, right up to Barmill then take the road over to drop down the Gleniffer Braes then find your way into Glasgow, could also head the Loch Libo road (A736) into Barrhead and find your way home..

boydj

Legendary Member
You could either head to Kilmacolm on the A761 then out the Lochwinnoch road (nice hill at Carruthmuir) then drop down into Lochwinnoch then join the cycle track to end at Glengarnock (the A737 is to be avoided, lousy surface and traffic full of Nigels) and then left to Beith, right up to Barmill then take the road over to drop down the Gleniffer Braes then find your way into Glasgow, could also head the Loch Libo road (A736) into Barrhead and find your way home..

You could take the cycle track from Paisley Canal station to Kilmacolm, road to Lochwinnoch and cycle track back to Paisley from there, or do it the other way round if you like a good climb. Cycle track is good - though there is the odd dog-walker to negotiate where the track passes close to civilization. Good for steady speed runs, but not for racing or time-trialling, as you do need to slow down occasionally for pedestrians.

pjd57

Veteran
There's no traffic lights between Lennoxtown and Fintry.
Slight hill though !
Edinburgh road out towards Easterhouse has a couple of decent straight bits, but I'm struggling to think of many with no traffic lights

Top Bottom