Gloss or matt paint finish?

Gloss or Matt paint finish - which is preferred?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I called into my LBS this morning and saw a stunning looking Orbea Orca finished in a (marmite) lime green colour. The only thing that let it down, IMHO, was that the finish was matt and not gloss.

I much prefer gloss as it can be polished to a nice deep shine, which not only looks good but helps keep dirt off the frame in that it can't stick so easily to a highly polished surface..... Not to mention the clear advantage that a polished frame is slippier so it cuts through the air and makes the bike quicker! :whistle:

So I thought it would be interesting to hear the views of members of the forum on this topic.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm loving the matt finishes of late.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Mine is gloss but I do have to say that I love a good matt finish. So, my vote is matt!

lutonloony

Über Member
Love gloss when all nice and clean and shiny, but matt seems more forgiving if a little grubby. Still have to go gloss though

Drago

Legendary Member
Aren't some of these hi tech matte finishes supposed to be harder for the dirt to stick to? I seem to recall something like that in the blurb when I bought my Giant Trance.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
rather oddly, my gloss-painted alu frame attracts and retains dirt far easier than my matt black carbon frame (which can be cleaned with just a hose). wonder if there's some sort of coating on the matt frame (ribble r872)…

Globalti

Legendary Member
My regular bike is matt black and shows scratches and stains badly. My hooligan bike is matt Celeste and is a complete pain to keep clean as it attracts dirt for fun and holds oil if there's any on the cleaning cloth. I've even considered getting it gloss lacquered.

Top Bottom