Gloucester Old Spot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Balls off the rack now and in the top oven. Apple sauce spot on. Butternut squash going in top oven.

workplace-boring-boredom-listener-good_listener-bore-07639123_low.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Balls off the rack now and in the top oven. Apple sauce spot on. Butternut squash going in top oven.
Flay the skin off the pork, salt it, and whack the heat up for the last 15 minutes while the meat is resting.

Eat the scratchings with your post-prandial pint.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Flay the skin off the pork, salt it, and whack the heat up for the last 15 minutes while the meat is resting.

Eat the scratchings with your post-prandial pint.

I've tried this. You lose depth of flavour if you remove the skin. I'm whacking the heat up at the moment, but I'll rest it with the skin on.

srw

Those are certainly rare.
I prefer my pork well done.

srw

I've tried this. You lose depth of flavour if you remove the skin. I'm whacking the heat up at the moment, but I'll rest it with the skin on.
I'd believe that of the fat, but not of the skin. If your pork is properly fatty there'll be enough fat on the beast to leave a good coating on the meat while you crisp up the crackling.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
I'd believe that of the fat, but not of the skin. If your pork is properly fatty there'll be enough fat on the beast to leave a good coating on the meat while you crisp up the crackling.

Good point. However I've managed to get it so that the crackling is really crisp and the fat has been blasted out.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend of a friend got a breeding pair of Gloucester Old Spots for a wedding present (he's a farmer, by the way)
The marriage ended but the pigs keep on breeding. I get a portion for a few quid every now and then....

Top Bottom