Gloves for cold riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As a diver, I can quite happily say.....nope.

Cheap, durable, windproof, waterproof, and hot as hell, leaving hands as sweaty as a Mackem at a spelling test...
Diver too, but not really into it (PADI divemaster, only go be ause a mate of mine wanted to qualify as an instructor and didnt want to do all the training alone).

Thats why I stick to 3mm for the really, really cold weather. When its -3 with a 15mph slipstream windchill you can trust me when I say sweaty mitts isn't a problem.

Alternatively, if its a flat barred bike then Breeze Blockers and gloves as thin as you like.

Last edited:
unfortunately I'm a glove addict. I've got something for every temperature range, in various fabrics. the OP didn't say exactly what temperature they were riding in. fwiw - some of my best cold weather cycling gloves, are expensive cycling specific gloves. 2 pair are from the Peal Izumi brand. good luck w/ your quest!

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Roughly how much are you looking to spend?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I do appreciate it

I was looking at around £30.00 ..

There is a LBS near work so I called in lunch time and purchased a pair of these ....

https://www.cycle-street.co.uk/m8b0s278p7575/Chiba-Gloves-Classic-Windstopper-Glove-Black

Seems to be good quality and well padded so I will see how they go... dont think these are waterproof but as I go out in the dry most the time I can live with that, just the valley i ride tends to be very cold in the winter months with frost, maybe just below freezing :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My Aldi cycling gloves are ridiculously good value for the money. I'm sure they'll be on sale in the autumn for the winter.
I have a pair that are my go to winter glovers. I also have a thin pair of prendas super roubaix, that are great for autumn/spring or under the Aldi gloves for extra warmth, and if its really cold I use my Ski "mittens with a finger" is that a lobster glove? Winter bike has a single bar end shifter so no issues with controls.

yello

Silk liners with Gore windstopper, as a rule, or the (slightly bulkier) LewisKit* windproof gloves. Either work for the most part. I like layers generally.

I do have a pair of Specialized Radiant gloves but they only get used when it's really cold, they're otherwise too warm. They're also a tad restrictive.

(*I'm pretty sure LewisKit are no longer in business. They used to do triathlon gear mainly as I recall)

I love my bar mitts for winter riding. They look silly, but depending on the temperature, light to medium weight gloves is all that is needed
yeah w/ bar mitts you can use whatever glove you have handy, even no gloves sometimes. I even have them for the road bike
wind gloves front.JPG

Top Bottom