Gloves for cold riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all

I am looking to get some new gloves for the cold months, any recommendations?

I do not want to pay a fortune for them as I only use the bike at weekends but do not mind paying if they do the job, keep my hands and fingers warm in cold/frost morning, I go out early ;)

STuart
I wear Thinsulate gloves on the trails. They're the only ones that will do when riding beside the freezing lakes & canals.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I go for the cheap and cheerful Aldi ski gloves. Preferably in a slightly larger size than you would normally have. Still allow enough control over gears and brakes.

I recently did over 2 hours at minus 1° (hadn't intended to go quite that long) and they kept my hands if not warm than not cold. The problem was my feet - they were like the iceberg that the Titanic hit by the end, and are the limiting factor in how cold and for how long I ride in winter.

When it got too cold for my hands this winter (around -10 / -12) then i bought some Decathlon ski under gloves, these are just very thin wool (merino?) gloves that act as a first layer, then the real weather proof gloves on top. It worked a treat and they only cost about £10 for the pair. Worth thinking about if you already have reasonable gloves that just need some extra warmth building in.

Pretty sure they were these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult...loves-trek-500/_/R-p-311676?mc=8588369&c=BLUE

Last edited:

Cymro74

Used boiledeg gloves this winter when temps were around zero and they were great. Only problem is my hands get too hot in them above around 5 degrees.
Amazon always putting them on sale.

Top Bottom