Gluten and dairy free

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has been quite a year in which lots of changes have happened…in particular I’ve somehow become gluten and dairy intolerant!!! This is the guy who lived on bread and cheese! Starting back cycling and need some ideas of good cycling food that won’t make me have to carry a toilet roll in the jersey pockets 👀Any ideas???

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Nuts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Something made of gluten free oats? Lots of recipes on the net :smile:
Banana?
Dried fruit?
Vegan chocolate?
Jelly babies?

How far are you going to be cycling?
What do you normally eat before cycling? Have a big bowl of porridge first?

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I will watch with interest, I'm coming to the conclusion as my OA worsens, inflammation caused by a whole range of stuff we eat, bread, bagels in particular, stuff I love, is a potential big contributor to that inflammation. I've come to notice when I have cereals, I feel bloated afterwards.
I too have to change diet I think, move away certainly from processed breads and food. Its the right thing to do anyway I suppose.

Lookrider

Been gluten free for 28 years with coeliac disease
Honestly you will adapt no problem
Theres plenty of choice nowadays
Be wary of nuts as a lot are coated in flour
GF Snack bars for bikes
Trek bars
Nine bars
Eat natural
OTE
Cliff
Torq

You say your the guy who lived on bread and cheese ?? That's the lijeky reason ( I was told by medical profession ) you have developed the GF need as you have over indulged in gluten grains
Cannot speak about the diary side as I'm ok on that

You will see the cafes that do GF as well and if some bike cafes come short on GF stuff
I dont complain as such i just mention that theres a group of us on bikes and because of me we have to go somewhere GF to accommodate me ...this kind if suggests they loose a decent size group just because they cannot cater for one person

You will become much more healthy and feel better soon..but also be aware that a lot of GF bread has high sugar contents etc
All the unhealthy fast foods shops are now out of your reach and you will feel a lot better for it
Unfortunately a lot of these things like cakes biscuits pies pizza are appearing in tbe supermarkets last 5 years or so
I went 15 years or more with out any of those other than occasional home made ones

Honestly you will be fine

Any other issues just ask and I try to help from experience
After so long GF and when a conversation crops up about it some of me mates say it was me that invented it before it was in fashion
Always gets a giggle

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Something made of gluten free oats? Lots of recipes on the net :smile:
Banana?
Dried fruit?
Vegan chocolate?
Jelly babies?

How far are you going to be cycling?
What do you normally eat before cycling? Have a big bowl of porridge first?
Thanks for the reply…I used to have stuff like flapjack so gluten free oats sound like a good plan. Will be doing two 14 to 15 mile rides a day commuting.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Been gluten free for 28 years with coeliac disease
Honestly you will adapt no problem
Theres plenty of choice nowadays
Be wary of nuts as a lot are coated in flour
GF Snack bars for bikes
Trek bars
Nine bars
Eat natural
OTE
Cliff
Torq

You say your the guy who lived on bread and cheese ?? That's the lijeky reason ( I was told by medical profession ) you have developed the GF need as you have over indulged in gluten grains
Cannot speak about the diary side as I'm ok on that

You will see the cafes that do GF as well and if some bike cafes come short on GF stuff
I dont complain as such i just mention that theres a group of us on bikes and because of me we have to go somewhere GF to accommodate me ...this kind if suggests they loose a decent size group just because they cannot cater for one person

You will become much more healthy and feel better soon..but also be aware that a lot of GF bread has high sugar contents etc
All the unhealthy fast foods shops are now out of your reach and you will feel a lot better for it
Unfortunately a lot of these things like cakes biscuits pies pizza are appearing in tbe supermarkets last 5 years or so
I went 15 years or more with out any of those other than occasional home made ones

Honestly you will be fine

Any other issues just ask and I try to help from experience
After so long GF and when a conversation crops up about it some of me mates say it was me that invented it before it was in fashion
Always gets a giggle
Thank you so much for the advice and support…I think what I’ve found over the last couple of months is that there is a lot of stuff out there…it’s just finding where.

Lookrider

Thank you so much for the advice and support…I think what I’ve found over the last couple of months is that there is a lot of stuff out there…it’s just finding where.
One thing I fast learned was the good named resuaraunts etc who when I asked ( years back) is that GF ..the shock horror of no idea mate ...
Or the " we cannot guarentee" only told me that these trained chefs were buying stuff en Masse and packaged then just putting them in the microwave ?...doesn't happen as much nowadays.. but I'm not impressed if the chef does not know what he is putting in the food ?

Porridge or fruit or a salad mix fir brekky with me ...I avoid cereals now full stop ..even GF there far too processed...

newts

Veteran
Slightly under ripe bananas are my safe go to. Ripe bananas are high in fructans, which often cause issues if you have ibs symptoms. My GP helped me through the 'Fodmap' elimination diet, this was a revelation in finding my triggers.

Top Bottom