Gmail Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We are moving from BT which means the BT.com email addresses will shut down after 60 days. They can be kept live for a fee of £7.99pcm.

I migrated to Gmail several years ago but Mrs P still uses BT.com. She now has a Gmail account and will begin using this.

My question are these; Gmail has a feature which allows it to capture other email addresses and deliver the mails to one's Gmail account. Do these email addresses have to be live or does Gmail in someway just see the address and grab it even if the BT.com is closed??

When the BT.com account is closed will people receive a bounce back, unknown account message?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I assume if your BT email address is deleted, then emails from that account won't be picked up so the answer is no. I just gradually changed the email address from BT to my gmail account as and when i was on a particular site. It is easier than trying to remember all the sites you are associated with, and if you never use a site anymore, then you don't have to bother with changing anything.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I assume if your BT email address is deleted, then emails from that account won't be picked up so the answer is no. I just gradually changed the email address from BT to my gmail account as and when i was on a particular site. It is easier than trying to remember all the sites you are associated with, and if you never use a site anymore, then you don't have to bother with changing anything.

I'm sure you're right as logic says this will be the case. All our important stuff comes in on my email. I plan to trawl through Mrs P's inbox going back three months and then leave it - alternatively I can watch Strictly xx(

Brandane

Legendary Member
We are moving from BT which means the BT.com email addresses will shut down after 60 days. They can be kept live for a fee of £7.99pcm.
I left BT several years ago, but my @BTinternet.com address is still fully functional. I assume that is not the same thing as @BT.com then? I pay them zero, and don't intend to pay BT anything, ever again.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@PaulSB you should have started migrating a bit sooner: I still can find old log ins with my old email address 3 months later.
Fortunately it's still active as it's from my broadband provider, I only migrated from it because Virgin mail log in is getting a bit trial and error.
In answer to your question, once the address is deactivated it will bounce mails.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses and apologies for not coming back earlier.

Our Sky broadband went seamlessly live yesterday - pleased and surprised by this.

I migrated my own email from BT 2-3 years ago after anticipating this situation. Mrs P has little interest in such things and was only persuaded by the savings of £500+ pa. We are now retired and this is a BIG saving.

I knew Gmail would make migration easy but hadn't anticipated Mrs P last cleaned her Inbox in 2005!!!! :eek:

A quick whizz through six months of email showed my wife has very few accounts which needed updating.

As Mrs P often remarks she hasn't seen an email I'm hoping Gmail will help minimise the amount of junk she receives, it certainly does for me. Plus her BT account will soon be defunct wiping away a lot of stuff.

We decided to pay for a one month extension on BT email to take her up to Christmas.

I emailed all her friends with the new address.

All this will be worth the peace and quiet I'd have lost!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wonder how cheap tv and phone internet would be if BT sky ect didn't pay millions to have some football matches on?
Maybe we need to have a referendum!!

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wonder how cheap tv and phone internet would be if BT sky ect didn't pay millions to have some football matches on?
Maybe we need to have a referendum!!

It's a good question. I like to think I'm no longer paying for those items but subscribers are.

My Sky account shows I'm paying £6 for unlimited fibre pcm and £19 for line rental pcm. I've had the same line for 36 years - surely it's paid for by now!!!! I do understand there must be some cost but £19???

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If there are emails you wish to keep from bt, forward them to the gmail account.
They should still be accessible once the bt account is defunct.

Broadside

Guru
BT price gouging customers; who knew!! The safest thing to assume with BT pricing is the worst case scenario because you will usually be correct.

£7.99 to retain an email address is ridiculous but not unexpected with them. I would always suggest to get your own email address independent of the ISP then you are not tied in to them and it will make future swapping much easier.

Top Bottom