gnome 3 the adventurer starts here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoof

A man in the street review.

Hi I've just downloaded gnome 3 to run on Opensuse 11.4 930 MB worth.
It's just a trial version, the refined OS is not due out till October.
Overall I am really pleased and delighted with it, and no crashes as yet.
I think anyone can run this OS with a little bit of experience, just duck and dive on the
very technical, and you will be fine! You can first put your toe in the water by making a live CD.
I view it as a very good alternative to windows for the net, pic's, email's, music, & Gaz's video’s,
the normal home computer demands.

It appropriate for me, because I’m in a hurry; if a problem did occur, there's no need to
sit and puzzle; I just put in the CD, boot and click on install. It will just format the OS partition,
giving me a new clean installation, and leaving my files untouched, all in just 10 Minutes.
You will have to do a update later, but for now you are up and running.
A word of caution if you want to follow; don’t do a duel boot, with it on the same drive as windows.
As windows will do it's best to assassinate it, it's like keeping two belligerent brothers apart.

The first thing I noticed it's a very quick boot, you have just time, for a quick slurp of Coffee.
I'm in impressed with the look and feel of the desktop, a good working environment.
The control bar is now at the top, with network-manager popping up at the bottom right.
The date & calender are in the middle, just a click brings it down, handy.
If you flick the mouse to the top left, favourites and application's button's appear.
Go to the right and the multi desktops window slides out cool.
Flick the mouse to the top left with files open; all appear in one window cut to size to fit.
Just a click on one, brings it back to full size, making multitasking easy.
Or just use the windows button on the keyboard, now that’s taking the piss.

8 days now and no major faults, found, if you are also running gnome 3 let's swap information!
If you want some help just ask, if you can install a copy of windows, you will be OK with this OS.

Attachments

• desktop65 .jpeg
    desktop65 .jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
i have tried 3.0 and 3.2 and it is good but i prefer unity DE over gnome-shell

Top Bottom