
While I was doing my level 3 bikability I did choose busier roads in order to practice my manouvres.I don't have a lot of choice, I live in Denmark and only have quiet roads and cycle paths.
But I always chose the quiet roads when I was in the UK for several reasons. I ride a bike to relax. If you are riding in busy traffic and you don't like it then you are arriving at work or home in a stressed condition. What's the point?
You can take more notice of your surroundings if it is quiet. Enjoy the ride, relax.
It's not about 'Manning up'. But a lot of male cyclist have this testosterone idea about cycling. I would be interested in seeing how many of the ladies would admit to preferring the busy route because they are tough. The ladies are sensible and don't have to pretend to be macho.
Ride like a woman and you will enjoy cycling a lot more.
Steve

