Go pro chest harness- query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rainbow999

hello all. newbie here and have a question and hopefully am in the right section.

I am so excited to have got a go pro hero for christmas! am now looking at different option of mounting and the chest harness is one thing i was looking at.

At £30 its quite a cost and noticed that there are alternatives on auction sites for much less but never having seen an original no idea how they compare with security and ease of using.

I do mainly road cycling so is chest harness best option. I was thinking there may be vibration in bar mounting? or there is a head strap ?
if any one has thoughts on prefferred mount and if the alternatives are any good would be grateful.

oh and enjoy the rest of the festive break!

Drago

Legendary Member
Mount it on you bike my friend. Having it punched through your skull or ribcage in the event of a spill is not something to look forward to.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi rainbow999, welcome to the website - have to say that I immediately thought the same as Drago, without having any experience. Just imagine hitting the floor with a lump of electronics strapped to you... I expect some more Go-pro users will come along to advise too. :hello:

Ian193

Über Member
I have a chest mount for mine but the footage isn't great using the 'chesty' mount saw more of the road in front of the front wheel than I would have liked the handlebar mount is best mounted under the bars so the camera is upside down just remember to change the orientation of the camera so it's the right way up otherwise it will record upside down

drummerbod

Each mount has pros and cons:

Head Mount:
Pros - high vantage point, follows your line of sight, better sound (less noise) due to isolation.
Cons - head wobble both left to right a bit and on bumpy surfaces front to back even when strapped on tight. High vantage point gives less appreciation of speed.

Handle bar mount:
Pros - not so geeky looking. Footage feels faster due to lower point.
Cons - bad high frequency vibration on rough surfaces, bad noise transduced as little isolation. Doesn't follow line of sight.

Chest mount:
Pros: good isolation from noise, better perspective for downhill.
Cons: hard to get visual line on flats, doesn't follow line of sight.

drummerbod

As for safety. Head mount will snap off before it goes through helmet. Chest moount - the GoPro chest mount has a large flat plate so it's unlikely to be pushed through your chest. Cheaper chest mounts tend to have smaller back plates.

OP
OP
R

rainbow999

hmm. thanks all for your replies. it has given me something to think about. I really never considered what would happen in an accident and i think I am under the 'it will never happen to me' brigade but yes it does need thinking about

I mount my GoPro on my helmet (the only reason I wear one :smile: ) and was surprised when I first fitted it how backward the tilt had to be to get the 'straight-ahead' shot so I would guess a chest harness would just show my crossbar and the road.

Guy I work with here uses a chest mount for snowboarding and mtb. He reckons it gives the best view in that the bike bars are in the shot giving some perspective to the footage.
I've just bought a garmin virb which will only be mounted on the bars (only been out for 1 ride with it so far) but I'm quite happy with it there. The garmin does have some image stabilisation the gopro doesn't though. I wouldn't put the garmin on a chest mount but its a very different shape to the gopro and I'd feel Borg like with it on the available shoulder mount.

Drago

Legendary Member
As for safety. Head mount will snap off before it goes through helmet. Chest moount - the GoPro chest mount has a large flat plate so it's unlikely to be pushed through your chest. Cheaper chest mounts trend to have smaller back plates.
if you auger in from directly above it ain't gonna snap, it's gonna go straight in. Why bother wearing a lid for the supposed safety benefits, and then negate that by placing a solid object on the outside of it?

I took a bad fall a few years ago, a simple trip and whoopsy daisy. At the time I had in my inside jacket pocket a UHF amateur radio about the size of a go pro. You can guess which side had the 6 fractured ribs and the rectangular bruise. That was just catching my toes stepping over a doorstep. Imagine doing the same falling from height at speed.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I mount my GoPro on my helmet (the only reason I wear one :smile: ) and was surprised when I first fitted it how backward the tilt had to be to get the 'straight-ahead' shot so I would guess a chest harness would just show my crossbar and the road.
You should check that out with Michael Schumacher ,

You should check that out with Michael Schumacher ,
Why, he was doing a sport which I don't. I have made my own decision as to the risk and consider that the risk is minimal. I have tried the GoPro mounted on the handlebars and consider the risk to me to be far higher as I hit it going over the bars or impale myself on it.

Top Bottom