God Almighty, Just How Stupid Can People Be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not always deliberately though. Ignorance / poor foresight is just as bad.

Former neighbours, two retired farmers, had dogs all their life. They bought a tri-colour border collie from working lines, but while it got two good long walks a day, it spent the rest of the day chained in the garden and lived outside. It did have a kennel, but was never allowed in the house. Guess the two old boys didn't know any better, but bottom line, the dog was bored out of his skull.

As a result, it became destructive, as it had nothing to do. And it also became aggressive - me, my dad, the postie, you name it. If it wasn't chained, you'd be had. Inevitably, it had a good go at one of its owners and was put down.

Regarding Staffies, I adore them, even though I'm a cat person. A friend of mine went to home a cat from Battersea, and I tagged along. We had to sit through this interview process, during which there was an animal in the room. We happened to have this white Staffy bitch in our interview room, and she and I had a whale of a time playing with various toys while my mate pushed paperwork. It's probably the most fun I've ever had with a dog.

I've got two common black cats in my house, brothers. Love them to bits, but sooooooo want a dog :okay:

I've got two common black cats in my house, brothers. Love them to bits, but sooooooo want a dog :okay:

I'm currently owned by a Tortie (Poppy) and a blue and white who *thinks* she's a tortie (Lexi).

Don't think I'd ever have a dog (lifestyle makes it not ideal) but I'm a Cuddle Aunt to a pair of miniature schnauzers. :blush:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Former neighbours, two retired farmers, had dogs all their life. They bought a tri-colour border collie from working lines, but while it got two good long walks a day, it spent the rest of the day chained in the garden and lived outside. It did have a kennel, but was never allowed in the house. Guess the two old boys didn't know any better, but bottom line, the dog was bored out of his skull.

As a result, it became destructive, as it had nothing to do. And it also became aggressive - me, my dad, the postie, you name it. If it wasn't chained, you'd be had. Inevitably, it had a good go at one of its owners and was put down.
This! Border collies are the most intelligent breed (YMMV) and absolutely need mental stimulus and attention at least as much as exercise.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I thought it would be in Essex or hull or somewhere but in west Wales!!!🤣🤣🤣

Just shows it's the people that are the problem!

What are you picking on us for, we're not all Neanderthal here :eek:, even though I must admit, the cretins do seem to outnumber normal people.

This! Border collies are the most intelligent breed (YMMV) and absolutely need mental stimulus and attention at least as much as exercise.

Yes we looked at one from the Dogs trust but were warned off. This one was a stray from Ireland. Bred in a barn and when it wasn't sold it was released. Poor thing hadn't even been inside a house before and would need an experienced owner.
Time I have got but sadly no experience.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can never understand why people want to keep these types of dog.
I think the breeds of dog on the banned list need to be updated. There seems to be too many of these incidents happening.

FOAF is a retired lawyer. Before retiring she was involved in a dog fighting case. She now owns one of the dogs. By all reports it is a sweet and loving dog... to her :smile: But it just might kill you:eek:

The poor dog didn't even have toys. Not one. No ball, no squeaky chicken, nothing. never got treats either - other than the ones I used to give him (lobbed from a distance because I didn't fancy losing my fingers.) His life must've been hell with absolutely nothing to do. I used to sit there thinking why the heck did these guys even have a dog. Their cat wasn't allowed in the house either.

OTOH my mini schnauzer niece & nephew have the best life. Not only do they get a lot of exercise generally, they get taken to do things like agility and flyball and go once a week to a doggy adventure park, they've got loads of toys, cat companions, they go shopping. Such fabby and well trained little dogs. And they're always so pleased to see me - mind, I never have empty pockets... :blush:

It's not just border collies. All animals need what's known as "enrichment" - in the case of my cats, they can have hours of fun with a cardboard box from Tesco and a ping pong ball. The girls are getting on a bit in age now, Poppy is 13 and Lexi 10, but they still love to play with feather ticklers and catnip mice and goodness knows what other stuff I bring back from cat shows...

One of their all time favourite toys is a knitted snake I bought from the Tabby Point Siamese Cat Club stall.

With any animal, you get out exactly what you put in.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was about 4 years old we moved house to a new job in East Lothian. When we arrived there was a Wire Haired Fox Terrier sitting on the doorstep which surprised us but my parents took it in and fed it and it was never a problem to us. Unfortunately it defended the territory from anyone or anything which did not "belong".
It was apparently left as the previous tenants could not take it as it went with the house and was only allowed to live as we were about 2 miles from the nearest village.
I took it for a walk once to a nearby farm called Peace Farm where it met a Bull Terrier belonging to a surgeon from Edinburgh who lived nearby. Carnage and the Bull Terrier lost an ear before they were separated.
The owner was not fazed and sat down with his dog firmly between his knees having picked the ear up and dusted it off on his jacket sleeve. He took a needle and gut from behind his lapel and stitched the ear back on. He remarked that it was the first time he had to repair his own dog as he always carried the needle and gut to repair other dogs. Our dog was taken away by me again with no fuss as I belonged and at 5 years old was accepted as being in charge.
When we eventually moved away the dog was left for the next tenant who was ok with this arrangement.

andy0001

Über Member
usually when i see a 'how stupid can people be' my brother in law tends to try and break his own levels at least once a month.

i have edited my post as i read the first post and was a tad shocked by it :eek:

The other thing I find amusing about dog owners is the way some have no idea what is aggression in a dog and what is just a friendly warning.

Our dog is a border terrier and from a young age had the typical terrier attitude towards being pushed around by a bigger dog. It would get out of the way, not as fast as a Patterdale but turns at speed on a 6 pence. Then if that doesn't work it's noise, snarl, teeth and a snap. All fire and thunder but no aggression.

Dogs get the message and the inexperienced human owners don't understand that. They see it as aggression in their ignorance and they put their dog on the lead and scarper. The experienced dog owners know what it is and leave their dogs to work it out. Usually it ends up with the dogs playing nicely afterwards which is something the inexperienced dog owners aren't letting their dogs learn. Boundaries and how to behave like a dog.

Imho dog ownership should come with training and an understanding that if you get it wrong you lose your right to own a dog.

Some things I find crazy is a pet ship owner advising people on dog nutrition when their own dog is morbidly obese. A local pet shop that's now closed had a border collie that was so fat it was close to being a cube shape with legs and a tail sticking out. I have seen labradors get obese but even fat labs are smaller than this collie was. They should not be allowed to be in contact with pets imho. Disgraceful!

I'm glad people focused on Essex. Normally dangerous dogs get associated with Liverpool.

Top Bottom