god bless touring and camping caravan club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I am a self employed computer programmer who loves touring in all weathers, live in East Yorkshire.

got to go work in london for 2/3 weeks, before touring would have stayed in hotels, used tube, all depressing and would have cost half my salary per week - low profit.

this time taking bike, tent, most touring gear, going to camp.

got a 20 mile commute each way (should be ok - 4 weeks ago came back from 2 month tour in scotland)
Instead of paying £350 (£300 hotel cheapest per week, £50 travel) I will only pay £34 for the campsite a saving of £310 and on three weeks £930.

I will also avoid the depressing tube/hotels and in a way it will feel like I'm on tour - great for moral etc and have all the benefits of cyling especially during a commute.

I am not boasting etc but just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone in history who made this possible.

It is hard to believe I can experience such benefits and love it all.

I truly consider my life to be great and am one of the luckiest persons around.

I used to be a typical unfit/fat car commuter 4 years ago, not any more.

My life has been transformed and I have far better lifestyle than the average brit.

Thank you all.

Just needed to say this as so many people moan nowadays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love life, I have few disadvantages.

An excellent plan, Stephen; just make sure you've got somewhere to go of an evening .. will be a bit dark and gloomy at this time of year. Or is this contract not coming up soon?

Well it is the low season for camping! ;) What sleeping bag do you use??? I was camping last month in Wales and was cold and had to prop the tent back up in the middle of a stormy night. Love camping though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Interesting.

Why not consider doing a "monthly" trial at a local Virgin health club.

You can take showers, stay warm, have a swim and sit and watch telly/read a paper all for about £65 a month (less if you join for longer.)

Tell the manager you are considering joining and want a month or too trial. (I used to have a rolling monthly membership, cost more per month (about £7 more) but I could cancel anytime, which I did as soon as I started commuting on Chitty.

Also, where are you camping in London?...I didn't know there were sites in town

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Archie_tect said:
Don't tell, you'll return after a long day to find someone's stolen all your kit....

Oh, blimey...good point

stephenjubb said:
Usually go to the pub and read, may not be a problem this time after 40 miles, 4 hours cycling when get back to tent and had meal will be tired.

got an extra large alpkit skehigh, apparently goes down to -5, excellent sleeping bag

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16320&category_id=253

recommended on this forum so gave it a try. hve never regretted it.

Pub and read? A man after my own heart. I'm assuming you're experienced enough at the camping game to know not to have too much beer. It's not good when it's trying to burst your bladder at 3am. :becool:

Yep, you should be alright with that sleeping bag. There's only a few nights a year where the temperature goes that low in the sarf .. and it's unlikely to happen in Oct / Nov.

Jonathan M

Good job you're with the camping 7 caravanning club. The Caravan Club are a bunch of aging Daily Mail readers, and you can't occupy a pitch on one of their sites for "commercial" business - so 3 weeks somewhere for a job would mean a warden coming and slinging you off once they think you are resident there for work purposes!

Top Bottom