God help me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

If youve had attempts before you know where your pitfalls are going to be and find alternative coping strategies. When smoking to combat stress just think for a second what you are doing, your aim with stress is to calm down, lower the blood pressure and heart rate. One of the effects of nicotine is it raises the heart rate and blood pressure so in reality you are enhancing the stress, just think about it especially when its obviously your heart your concerned about. Most quitters admit they handle stress better as a non smoker! :biggrin:

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

cyclebum said:
If youve had attempts before you know where your pitfalls are going to be and find alternative coping strategies. When smoking to combat stress just think for a second what you are doing, your aim with stress is to calm down, lower the blood pressure and heart rate. One of the effects of nicotine is it raises the heart rate and blood pressure so in reality you are enhancing the stress, just think about it especially when its obviously your heart your concerned about. Most quitters admit they handle stress better as a non smoker! :biggrin:

I totally agree smoking does raise the heart rate etc, unfortunately in my position then it was also the only way I was able to achieve my goals, may not have been the healthy or correct option but means to an end etc, going from 171st after day 1 to 5th on day 4 was proof for me it helped. I've now retired from the sport and so don't face these stresses any more:biggrin:

I also do understand and accept that I also learnt a lot from giving up and what started me back, in fact I have never been one to do anything that others tell me to do, I have to want to give up or do something for myself otherwise it never happens. I want to quit and as I know I have no mega stress going to be placed on me, and I also want to get fitter etc I know 'll succeed, I may still try the patch/gum/whatever route as help but I still feel I could kick it without any help but help is never something to pass up if available :biggrin:

I'm erring more and more towards buying any bike that has the components I would like and then selling the frame off and buying a correct spec'd frame, just after looking and looking and working out what bikes are available with what I would like I'm looking at spending almost £1200 whereas buying something as a donor and a frame I can come in well within my budget and although it has some second hand parts will be matched to my needs. Just need to keep looking at second hand listings and see if I can find what I'd like asap.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi shooter560, £1200 will buy a damn good NEW road-bike, from a host of manufacturers with all new parts (replacing worn parts gets expensive). Something like the Focus Cayo is waay more than enough bike for a relative newcomer and ditto any Shimano 105 and above. Loosing a few lbs round the midriff is better than spending more £££ to save 50 grams.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032366&N=Focus Cayo 2008

I'm 44 5'9" and nearl 13 stone, so I need to loose a bit too, I quit smoking 2 years ago due to Coronary Heart disease found me needing an emergency arterial stent fitting. Exercise will help improve your health and well being, but quitting smoking WILL have the biggest benefit...the Ambulance ride is pretty scary...
See your Doctor about quitting, you'll need all the help you can get. If they offer Zyban, go for it, by far the best way to remove the cravings without a doubt.

Welcome to the world of Cycling.

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

I agree £1200 will buy me a lot of bike, however to get a bike in the specs I want this is what I will have to look at spending, which is over what I'm willing to spend for now, hence why looking at buying a new frame and a donor bike, I know s/h gear will be part worn and need replacing but hopefully not all at once, especially as I'd put new bottom bracket and head set in to the frame.

Cheers for the link on the Focus bike, now I know I'm being stubborn and maybe ill thought through but I don't like the idea of a compact crankset as mentioned earlier and also backed up by others and also I really don't see the point in a triple. I know I'm older, less fit than I was when I used to ride, but back then I was doing bottom of the 21 min for a club 10 with a couple of mile false flat and rise, which always had a tail wind going up but a head wind after the turn, so I'd like to hope that with the right amount of effort and commitment from me I won't need anything lower than a 39x25 even on hills in the Mini challenge, though there is nothing stopping me changing the block to something easier just for this event.

postman

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome,You will find genuine help and tips on this site.Also a lot of humour.So ask those questions.Get a list of bikes you fancy then put them up here for discussion and take the advice of some very good cyclists.

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

Ok some thoughts on bikes.

I like the look of Trek, Specialized, Ribble, however not really that fussed about brand names etc, I've been looking more at the components, and here are some thoughts on these.

Shimano, I prefer these over Campag as I don't like the little lever on the inside of the hoods, plus and I could be wrong but Shimano can multi change with further lever movements.
On Shimano, minimum of 105 spec, nothing against Sora or Tirga but to me they look tacky and cheap. As before I'm looking for 53/39 chainset not compact or triple
Wheels, at this time of year I'm not fussed about light weight, I can always get a 2nd set.
I am liking the look of the Ribble 7005 and 7003 frames and also the Van Nicholas Vardar that Fat Birds have on offer.

In fact again build a bike seems the only real option to get my ideal settings, unless someone has some good pointers/ideas/links

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Have you tried the bike builder facility on the Ribble site?. You specify exactly what you want and they build it for you. Bike specific tools are expensive.

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you based? The lanes are great for almost car free riding but they get seriously mucky this time of year. I would have another think about mudguards - a wet muddy back and crap covered frame is not the best motivator for the next ride.

Cheers

gbb

Legendary Member
Shooter, a compact neednt be ruled out altogether..
50/34 is as stated earlier, a large jump and requires double shifts on the move. I found that a bloomin nuisance in Peterborough (not dissimilar to your terrain i would imagine.)
Fit a 39 or 40 chainring inplace of the 34...no other adjustments required apart from the dogfang, if its fitted.
Its easy to fix, and you still can quickly reverse it back to a 34 for sportives etc.
I did mine in 20 minutes, and it costs about £15.
Best of both worlds then...

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

Well I found a Specialized Allez E5 on Ebay its about 4 years old but has had new Shimano 105 9sp gear fitted, and its the right size for me. My thinking is to use this for a short while just to start getting into the saddle and then I'll change the frame to something lighter and newer, just because I got this one at a nice low price and even with a new frame and forks I'll still come in under my starting price budget :biggrin:

Oldlegs, I live in Dussindale so nice and close to the country roads, I know what you mean about getting wet, although I'm currently not too worried maybe a set of race blades could be in order.

So by this time next week I'm sure I'll be complaining about being sore where the sun don't shine, but I know it'll be worth it, and will also be without the dreaded weed sooner than expected :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
OK call me a crynical Oldlegs but I wonder about this thread. The only Dussindale Multimap can find is in Sussex - you do not get a lot of Dales in Norfolk:ohmy:

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

Dussindale is a sub part of Thorpe St Andrews, you know where Sainsbury's is on the Yarmouth road well up the hill at the lights :biggrin:

cyclebum

shooter560 said:
I also do understand and accept that I also learnt a lot from giving up and what started me back, in fact I have never been one to do anything that others tell me to do, I have to want to give up or do something for myself otherwise it never happens. I want to quit and as I know I have no mega stress going to be placed on me, and I also want to get fitter etc I know 'll succeed, I may still try the patch/gum/whatever route as help but I still feel I could kick it without any help but help is never something to pass up if available :biggrin:

The first question I would ever ask is 'why do you want to quit' and all I wanted was 1 simple reply, 'for myself' Unless that is your motive then it is so much harder.
The official line is using NRT is the best support you can get and most effect, but IMO I have dealt with many who successfully went cold turkey. It can be a lot harder but the worst effects are over much quicker, it comes down to your own determination. The most effective NRT combinations I found were with patches and inhalator. Any further advice you want just ask, If it's easier I am, happy to be your support though I've never done it via e-mail and I can no longer prescride!!

domtyler

Über Member
You wont give up smoking until you see it for what it really is.

-You are being manipulated by a corrupt American corporation.

-You are compelled to give them your money for an essentially worthless product every day of your life and there is sod all you can do about it as they have you physically addicted to their product.

-Your life is in their hands as everything you do revolves around the consumption of their product.

-These people are killing you with their product and you do not have the power to stop them.

Now do you wish to continue funding this nice American company?

Top Bottom