Going back to tubes - is it possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
yes in theory, but the issue with a tube is, it can then be a tight fit getting the tyre on, as there is less rim well to push the opposite side of the tyre and tube into to get the last bit of tyre on the rim.
Yep, pretty much this. In fairness, using Bontrager tyres I've had no issue getting the tyres on/off but if you have tyres that are ever so slightly undersized then it could make it hard to manipulate the tyre on and off the wheel.

Ajax Bay

Guru
yes in theory, but the issue with a tube is, it can then be a tight fit getting the tyre on, as there is less rim well to push the opposite side of the tyre and tube into to get the last bit of tyre on the rim.
Well running the same TR tyre with a tube (see OP) will be no more difficult that mounting the tyre in the first place. And the OP's tyre is already as stretched as it's going to be: this is not a new fit TR tyre.
To make the tube management easier, I'd use the next size down of tube (ie an 18-25 in a 28, for example).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well running the same TR tyre with a tube (see OP) will be no more difficult that mounting the tyre in the first place. And the OP's tyre is already as stretched as it's going to be: this is not a new fit TR tyre.
To make the tube management easier, I'd use the next size down of tube (ie an 18-25 in a 28, for example).
you've answered a different question out of context.
I was answering sitting ducks question re leaving the thicker rim liner in place vs taking it out and replacing it with thin rim tape, which would make a difference.

That seems logical to me -why buy tubeless rims to run tubed ( or vice versa), it will only make maintenance more awkward?
Oh, in fact there are TWO on this thread :P

OK, I'll bite ...
- it's getting harder to buy "tubed" rims, so a helluva lot of people are now doing this. And in this case, it's because the OP thinks he's seen a 2nd-hand bargain (I think). Hence he has asked the question. He is seeking information. Your answer does not provide any.
- vice versa would be daft now that so many tubeless wheels are available. In the early days it was almost the only option. Either way it's not what this thread is about!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think we should all have a bit argument over whether tubeless is any good. And throw in our own random anecdotes.

You know it's the right thing to do.

Venod

Eh up
I think we should all have a bit argument over whether tubeless is any good. And throw in our own random anecdotes.

You know it's the right thing to do. decided to run another err

Ok I will kick off with,

I have been running tubeless for a good few years now, it makes you lazy, yesterday I got a puncture, the first in about 2 years (that I know of) a bit of wire through the tyre resulted in instant deflation and its my fault I hadn't topped the sealant up in these tyres for about a year, anyway I have had an unamendable puncture in tubeless before and just fitted a tube, but this time I couldn't be bothered to mess about and couldn't get any air in with my feeble mini pump, I wasn't far from home so rang for rescue (the wife) who incidentally decided to run another errand for the grandson before coming, even though she said she was on her way.

At home I took the valve core out and put in some fluid, pumped it up with the track pump, spun the wheel, in top gear (I knew that 11 sprocket would come in handy) and its still the same pressure today.

So I won't be going back to tubes anytime soon, but I must remember to top up the fluid and a CO2 cannister might be a good emergency measure.

Alex321

Veteran
That seems logical to me -why buy tubeless rims to run tubed ( or vice versa), it will only make maintenance more awkward?
Running tubed tyres on tubeless rims doesn't make maintenance any more awkward at all, at least with regular tubeless rim tape..

Being "tubeless rims" makes no difference to getting the tyres on & off the rims. You can even perfectly well run tubes in tubeless tyres.

Top Bottom