Going clipped...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Bought me some M520 Shimano pedals to go with my Aldi special shoes from a few months back - just not got round to buying the pedals and wanted to get used to cycling again first.

Bought a pedal wrench to go with it, and some other bits and pieces, cleaning kit for one and a new mount for the rack so I can stick my flashing light on the back. Will give it a good wash shortly and get pics up of my finished commuter! :smile:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Good luck

young Ed

Veteran
go for it, i can near on guarantee you won't regret going clipless!
personally i much prefer a 10mm (i think it's 10mm) allen key on the end of the pedal axle
Cheers Ed

iggibizzle

Practice clipping in and out while leaning against something / someone. I found it harder to clip in than out at 1st. Haven't had any traffic light falls but have been close a few times! :laugh: Soon becomes second nature tho.

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure they are on the loosest setting on both sides and practice indoors before outside. M520s are as easy to use as any pedal, as they are always the right way round!

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Bloody tempted to order another Ortlieb pannier too. I probably don't *need* it, but i can spread the load over two quite nicely, and I like the even distribution of stuff:biggrin:
EDIT: Bu**er it - I have! :biggrin:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Bloody tempted to order another Ortlieb pannier too. I probably don't *need* it, but i can spread the load over two quite nicely, and I like the even distribution of stuff:biggrin:
EDIT: Bu**er it - I have! :biggrin:
Might get a couple more, and that way, if they are full, when you have a clipless moment they will cushion your fall! Just did the clipless pedals myself, and am using them on the trainer over the winter. Just so I get used to clipping out. Well Done, and chapeau to you for a couple of good choices there.

andabby

Über Member
How did u get on with them? Ive been reading the other posts about going clipped and about to use hard earned santa pennies on M520s, just looking for another beginners view on them

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My 520's came back from my brother's (loan he didn't need as he got R540's for road bike). They're going on MTB first chance I get (I've got double sided flat/SPD on at mo. ). Shoes are 4 year old Lidl's

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I saw them on Bikemanforu on YouTube and they were double sided. Mine are double sided but there is a big piece of plastic around each pedal so I guess I have a choice of double side or one. Will test them out tomorrow

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Hehehe had my first clipless moment. How embarassing that it was in the garden. I was resting on a bench whilst testing clipping in and out, bench gave way and I went toppling over. Bike OK but the kickstand needs a new end bit as I bent mine (stupidly I'd left it folded out but thankfully only end bit affected. I've unscrewed that, the base of it seems fine) and I completely destroyed a garden gnome. Woops.

I feel a bit silly too but it'll pass. I won't let it put me off! Though strangely ironic that I probably hurt myself more by crashing into the bench and gnome than just landing on my side)

Mrs M

Guru
Hehehe had my first clipless moment. How embarassing that it was in the garden. I was resting on a bench whilst testing clipping in and out, bench gave way and I went toppling over. Bike OK but the kickstand needs a new end bit as I bent mine (stupidly I'd left it folded out but thankfully only end bit affected. I've unscrewed that, the base of it seems fine) and I completely destroyed a garden gnome. Woops.

I feel a bit silly too but it'll pass. I won't let it put me off! Though strangely ironic that I probably hurt myself more by crashing into the bench and gnome than just landing on my side)
Hope the gnomes ok!

Top Bottom