Going downhill, turning right, signalling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Still didn't prevent a woman from trying to overtake me despite me being almost over the centre line
Yep had that on the approach to a roundabout. I'm going to turn right. I'm going downhill, doing 30+ in a 40 and about to start hitting the brakes. Just before the 1 lane becomes 2.
Why did she think I was over at the right hand side and why (as she was going straight on) didn't sge take the left lane....

I used to have problems on my old commute getting on to the road where I lived. I tried variations of turning right into my road, into the road a block beyond where I lived and turning right again or turning right a turn early and then left. The answer was to move house.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Just like driving a car, Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. However part of your manoeuvre is moving into the centre or far right of the lane, if this will allow traffic to safely pass on your inside. Eye ball the driver behind you then signal, then hands back on the bars and brakes, and move; they should be able to remember your intentions for the few seconds it will take you to control your speed and make the turn. You have to be bold but it works. Most of the time.

GrasB

Veteran
In my experience mirrors are pointless unless there's something restricting your ability to shoulder check. A proper shoulder check gives better information & perception. That's why you'll only find a mirror on my 'bents where your ability to look back is restricted.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Not just better information, but also better negotiation with drivers behind you. They don't react to you as a human as much until they see your face.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OTOH, having mirrors on my recumbent saved me from getting knocked off. I had only a split second to swerve out of the way of that James Blunt in a BMW last week, and it was only just enough, the car still brushed my right shoulder.

I still look back a lot on my upright, but not quite as often as I do with the mirrors on my recumbent, where it's every few seconds on average.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Ask ten different cyclists and you will probably get more than 10 answers and all will be correctThere are two main highways connecting Bangkok & Korat, the following footage was shot on Hwy 304 (the less used one) It is downhill and has been for the last 8 kms! The video starts at the entrance road to the sports stadium or to give it its full name "His Majesty the King's 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December 2007 Sports Complex" I turn right about a kilometre away at the second u-turn by the Pepsi factory, The camera is handlebar mounted. I start my lifesaver checks just at the start of the video and normally try to move over after the first u-turn point, in this video I move over at the first u-turn. My decision to move over depends on traffic and my speed.

The photo at the start of the video is
pepsi.jpg

There is also nothing wrong with stopping at the junction and 'walking' the bike across.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Perhaps the original question is about performing maneouvres with one arm stuck out. My answer would be: don't maneouvre and signal at the same time. Signal to the vehicle behind, then move out with both hands on the bars. If necessary signal again for oncoming or other traffic.
A downhill right should be easier in that the speed differential between you and other traffic is likely to be less.

Top Bottom