Going Forward grrr.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
One I'm finding a bit odd at the moment is the tendency to insert 'sh' into words where it wasn't there previously.

'Mershedes'
'I'm shtressed'
'Shtupid'
'Shtop it'

etc., etc...

That's Sean Connery Syndrome

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
One I'm finding a bit odd at the moment is the tendency to insert 'sh' into words where it wasn't there previously.

'Mershedes'
'I'm shtressed'
'Shtupid'
'Shtop it'

etc., etc...

To be honest I can't help it at the moment, till I get dentures :laugh:

My pet hate at moment is "Brains Trust"

:evil:

Serge

Über Member
My particular bugbear is the misuse of the word "moment" almost exclusively by Premiership footballers and managers: "We're in a really good moment".

I'm sure it started as just an innocent mistranslation by a new foreign coach but it really sticks in my craw for some reason. I really don't enjoy shouting at televisions. Honestly.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
[QUOTE 5254978, member: 43827"]But does it?

Going forward I reckon going forward will be a thing of the past[/QUOTE]

Yes it does and yet it will do and then the inflexible will moan about another new phrase .

Rinse and repeat .

ETA Imagine the threads if Shakespeare was about nowadays !

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Let's put this thread on the back burner for a moment.
Let's stategise some face time and brainstorm some blue sky ideas, :reading:...

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
On a similar note, why is it that people reacting on the internet with surprise to some new event is now described as these people "losing their minds", and apparently with a side-effect of the internet being "broken"? :banghead:

Please stop this butchering of English. There's an extensive choice of suitable phrases to use already, so don't invent stupid and unnecessary new ones.
Right, I feel marginally better now, having whinged about it. Carry on CCing! :tongue:

mustang1

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5254423, member: 43827"]Nothing to do with direction of travel, but suddenly this alternative to "in future" or "from now on" seems to be everywhere on the TV or radio.

How do these phrases take over, like Spanish bluebells or grey squirrels, or saying forevoh or whatevoh, from existing, perfectly clear phrases and, more importantly, why.

Should we now say "going backwards" when referring to the past?[/QUOTE]

I thought we were over "going forward/moving forward" from years ago. Dont tell me it's doing the rounds again? grrr.... it makes me wanna swear. Hey ya know swearing words seemingly never go out of fashion. I'm not going to read the rest of this thread as I'm going to get very annoyed and it's Friday.

Happy Friday everyone.

Top Bottom