Going Pedelec: the machine arrives this week😳

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
At least I’m legal now. Got my reg plate today and final documents, hope to collect the bike Weds:

C8E5474B-5916-46AB-AFE7-7BE2DB85DDBE.jpeg

CXRAndy

Guru
What is the max power and torque can the speed ebike have?

Edit I see it's a Stromer ST5 , research say 48Nm, 850W-cool :okay:

https://www.stromerbike.com/en/models/st5-abs

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I think the front mudguard needs to be much longer to offer any protection against water spray.

I bought SKS Blumells 45mm wide. I used the rear guard on the front with a little bit of fettling. It works very well at keeping the vast majority of spray off me and bike. If I were commuting, I'd definitely fit a whale tail on the bottom to catch spray from hitting feet/shoes. .

This is my front wheel with SKS fitted

20220531_141153.jpg

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
What is the max power and torque can the speed ebike have?

Edit I see it's a Stromer ST5 , research say 48Nm, 850W-cool :okay:

https://www.stromerbike.com/en/models/st5-abs

Yes correct with a 983w battery for some decent range although they’ve just launched a 1440w battery:laugh:

Not sure on the capped power or nm but speed is certainly max 45kmh and then it’s law to have built in lights and horn plus wear a skid lid.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes correct with a 983w battery for some decent range although they’ve just launched a 1440w battery:laugh:

Not sure on the capped power or nm but speed is certainly max 45kmh and then it’s law to have built in lights and horn plus wear a skid lid.

Horn too, not bad idea, but like bells, it's quicker to shout then try and find a button.

Does you bike have ABS?

The 1440Whr battery, I suppose this is two batteries like on the Reise and Muller top of the range ebikes

Your bike should have the Supernova M99 Pro. Fantastic light, hi -lo beam, daylight running too.

I fitted one to my ebike, it's like a led car headlight for beam throw

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
The 1440ww battery is just a single unit the same size as all the other (they have 4 sizes now). I chose the cheapo ST5:laugh: without ABS as i wasn’t convinced I’d need it but that’s a risky statement to make, right…

Yes the Supernova looks great, used one one some trail rides last summer at night and it very effective, that and the DLR should be enough not to need extra lighting. My hope is that with the integrated lights i won’t need to add more, also next month i should receive the Stromer skid lid that has an integrated brake light on that back that synchs with the bikes brake light:okay:

I tested an R&M Supercharger (2 battery model) last month but felt the crank drive wasn’t as effective vs hub for long range commutes ie you needed more effort to maintain a high pace vs hub that managed it more easily. My aim is to average 35kmh on the way to to work (22km with 150m elevation) and +30kmh for the return trip (22km with 300m elevation) that’s what i achieve on my road bike but for that return i need to ave 230watts for 40mins which is tough after a long day:wacko:

Bike pick up is confirmed for tomorrow:okay: just getting dropped off and then I’ll ride the return 15km as a first shake down test before Friday’s first commute - bet it’s going to rain:laugh:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
@Ridgeway

Post some photos of your new bike :okay:

Will do for sure.

Picked it up at lunch, quick 22km ride home from the LBS:

23km distance
300m elevation
Ave speed 35kmh:laugh:

And that was with a 20kmh head wind and i had the braking regen on full (i think ?)

It simply flies:okay:

Getting up to 45kmh is fun, staying there is even more fun but Steve was right, sweat and watts will be involved for sure but in a fun way.

Some pics tomorrow i promise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Few pics of the Swiss machine:

8B4066F2-459B-483E-820A-F029A71C25F2.jpeg

3732EBB2-A24F-4487-88B7-163724DEA9A1.jpeg

459E4564-9488-4EB4-8973-0518363B416C.jpeg

0D204500-C5C0-4D98-B2B4-12A92CAEE2CA.jpeg

First commute today, best fun I’ve had in ages:laugh:

Attachments

• 134A9B46-EBEC-4705-AEB3-6EE6D8BECF27.jpeg
    134A9B46-EBEC-4705-AEB3-6EE6D8BECF27.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 6F1D69C1-91F4-4757-AEA8-EB8D17004073.jpeg
    6F1D69C1-91F4-4757-AEA8-EB8D17004073.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 5

CXRAndy

Guru
Now you;ve had the bike nearly a week, what are your thoughts, performance, effort you need to put in, bikes qualities and weakness's?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I’ve done around 200km so far on the bike and I have to say it’s quite an amazing riding experience. Came back from the office on Tuesday and had to meet a customer for dinner and didn’t really think anything of the diversion on the commute home. This also gave me a chance to see how the lights perform and all I can say is wow🙃 like daylight almost and that’s without the high beam. Average speed on that late night return was over 40kmh

B35B4D2D-A3D8-445A-8209-94E30439F37B.jpeg

17322D69-C535-4E80-BCE9-F5C97F05EFD2.jpeg

It certainly changes my complete perspective on what I’m willing to take on with regards commuting or other utility rides. And Steve was right there’s always going to be a degree of sweat involved but at least you can decide how much😀

Still tweaking the settings a bit but don’t see the battery regen doing that much although the motor braking is very effective indeed. Need though to get a better understanding of the torque sensor settings. Wondering about a set of winter tyres that Stromer offer, might be a sensible idea by the end of next month.

CXRAndy

Guru
Good aren't they the SuperNova M99 pro:okay:

I went out last night for a meeting, which when I got there was cancelled :cursing:

I decided to go a longer way back, but the clouds turned really dark, as it was going to pelt it down. I turned up the wick and shot home, beating the weather. Battery took a beating, from 60% to 20% in in 6 miles

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Yeah i hadn’t realised just how amazing this front light was, the night and day expression is very apt indeed. And being able to switch between dipped beam and full beam is very cool although I’m sure i could here the battery drawing breath when it was on full beam😂

CXRAndy

Guru
Yeah i hadn’t realised just how amazing this front light was, the night and day expression is very apt indeed. And being able to switch between dipped beam and full beam is very cool although I’m sure i could here the battery drawing breath when it was on full beam😂

I took some readings of power consumption of the M99. From memory, it's around 10W for daylight running, 16W dipped and 23W high beam. Not massive, certainly noticeable on longer rides that the battery level drop a little quicker. I have high power 3W rear light too . Busch&Muller

Top Bottom