Going through red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
orkneyblues said:
I ride in Orkney, there are no traffic lights in Orkney at all, however, out for a ride last week with my mate, we came across a set of tempory traffic lights for road works. The road was dead quiet, not even a tractor, and I was not going to stop at the red light :?: untill I noticed a solitary cyclist waiting patiently at the light, he was a young kid acting very responsible and I could not then jump the light, setting what I knew was a bad example to our young cyclists. Another lesson learned for me.

Orkneyblues..you're a top bloke, setting a good example is the right way.

I'm totally hacked-off with RLJ'ing cyclist, they're a menace a hazard and their selfish ignorant ways make life worst for the rest of us.
It's not that difficult to stop at reds.

Pista Weasel

I'm totally hacked-off with RLJ'ing cyclist, they're a menace a hazard and their selfish ignorant ways make life worst for the rest of us.

Pharisaical blather; find something more important to get "hacked-off" with.

Cab

Fab Foodie said:

I agree with all of that. But I still think that the amount of hot air expelled by motorists on this topic is way out of proportion to the risks of red light jumping by cyclists. Almost any discussion on any cycle related issue that involves non-cyclists will end up being subverted to RLJ'ing by the motorist.

I don't, unless it's 3 am and the lights don't change for a solitary cyclist and no one else is awake for miles. If anyone's approaching in a car, I'll wait and let them change the lights for me so I can go through on green. But I'm not hanging around like a lemon, getting steadily later for work, until a car happens to show up.
At more normal times, with plenty of traffic around, no.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
A red light means STOP and so you should. People jumping red lights should have their means of transport taken away and crushed, be it car or bike :eek:

Seem to get a large number of motorists in and around Lincoln doing the`amber gambler` routine to the extent that there are many times 4 or 5 cars going through after the lights are red (not hanging about either) and cross traffic has to wait for them. Conversely I don`t see many cyclists doing the same, occasionally a cyclist will sort of `amble` through before the lights go green. We seem to get quite a few cyclists on the footpaths, but there has been a fair amount of `converting` (white lines/pictures of bikes in various arrangements painted on the footpath) so I suppose that could confuse the population somewhat.

Fab Foodie

Cab said:
Fab Foodie said:

I agree with all of that. But I still think that the amount of hot air expelled by motorists on this topic is way out of proportion to the risks of red light jumping by cyclists. Almost any discussion on any cycle related issue that involves non-cyclists will end up being subverted to RLJ'ing by the motorist.

This is true, but we keep passing them the same old ammunition to chuck at us and are annoyed when we are all tarred with the same "lycra-lout" brush...
We could on the other hand get our own house in order before we expect other road-users to.

Fab Foodie

Pista Weasel said:

I'm sure you could find something more "important" to respond with...

slow down

Saw someone today just outside Wolverhampton on the busy A41 - all the gear on a decent looking Giant, straight through a red at a busy 5 way junction. It just pees me off that the odd one ends up giving all cyclists a bad reputation.

gbyers

Fab Foodie said:
Pista Weasel said:

Word of the week competition - entries now closed.

Jeez :eek:

Fab Foodie

gbyers said:
Fab Foodie said:
Pista Weasel said:

Word of the week competition - entries now closed.

Jeez :tongue:
:eek: :blush: :laugh:

Pista Weasel

Fab Foodie said:
gbyers said:
Fab Foodie said:
Pista Weasel said:

No, I'm quite happy to dumb down to your level.

Fab Foodie

Pista Weasel said:
Fab Foodie said:
gbyers said:
Fab Foodie said:
Pista Weasel said:

No, I'm quite happy to dumb down to your level.

In that case...kindly use shorter words in future :tongue:

sykes

ahhhhh now it feels like home a good old fashioned RLJ thread. :?:

So far feels a bit more civilized than the c+ ones few more bloody minded RLJers need i think? :tongue:
has he who is not mentioned found this forum yet?

Not a RLJer myself don't get it think it's a stupid thing to do!

Top Bottom