Going through red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Finally, anyone ever seen a Tiger crossing, mentioned in the links at the end? I didn't know they existed. Are there any?

Yeah i saw one of these the other day when he was crossing from the green to the next tee;)

Ade Osman

I could do with another bonnet mascot on the front of my Artic!.....It will only be a matter of time before it happens!

Ade

A cyclist and a truck driver, who gives bikes as wide a berth as possible, but has no time for jerk off's!!!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ade Osman said:
I could do with another bonnet mascot on the front of my Artic!.....It will only be a matter of time before it happens!

It'll serve the bugger right too ;)

RLJ, don't do it...

Tynan

Veteran
there's lights and lights, I generally roll through ped crossing if there's no peds on them, I don't do proper junctions but the amount of time when some junctions are utterly clear of any traffic at all, I quite understand why some cyclists do ride through them

some people are incredibly paranoid.

if i see a car driver jump a red light, i don't automatically think all car drivers are self-gratification artists. if i see a pedestrian cross the road without pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing, i don't think all pedestrians are self-gratification artists.

i do not believe that all car drivers who see a cyclist jump a red light thinks that all cyclists are self-gratification artists.

and if you think that they do, you need to stop being so insecure, worry about your own cycling, no-one elses, and get a ****ing life and stop moaning about it, ffs.

skwerl

trustysteed said:
some people are incredibly paranoid.

if i see a car driver jump a red light, i don't automatically think all car drivers are self-gratification artists. if i see a pedestrian cross the road without pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing, i don't think all pedestrians are self-gratification artists.

i do not believe that all car drivers who see a cyclist jump a red light thinks that all cyclists are self-gratification artists.

and if you think that they do, you need to stop being so insecure, worry about your own cycling, no-one elses, and get a ****ing life and stop moaning about it, ffs.

peds can cross when they like. there's no law stopping them.

It's hard not to believe that all motorists think that way about cyclists when all you get from ranting taxi drivers and the like is, "you lot are self-gratification artists, you all jump red lights". It's the first comment out of the mouth on anyone you dare to comment to about their recent actions nearly leaving you in a pool of blood on the road. That or the old "road tax" chestnut.

sykes

i agree it is always the first thing people say when they find out you cycle i had one cabbie going on about it the other day he also came up with a gem of a solution to the fact that allot of the cyclists break the law he suggested that we all have to wear bibs with a license number on it so we could be prosecuted oh and that we should only be allowed to cycle at 5mph muppet decided not to tip that time??!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
sykes said:
i agree it is always the first thing people say when they find out you cycle i had one cabbie going on about it the other day he also came up with a gem of a solution to the fact that allot of the cyclists break the law he suggested that we all have to wear bibs with a license number on it so we could be prosecuted oh and that we should only be allowed to cycle at 5mph muppet decided not to tip that time??!!

OT, but if a taxi driver says something you object to, are you justified in telling them to drop you straight away and just pay for the journey so far (given that you'll have 'hired' them for a specific trip)? Obviously, you'd have to have time to then get another taxi, or walk or whatever... But an instant reaction might show them what they've done, better than just no tip...

I hardly ever get cabs, so I don't know if there are 'rules' about this sort of thing...

And yes, when people find out I cycle, they often come out with the stuff about red lights, and the cycling on the pavement. Very annoying.

sykes

nah in the mind of someone like that they would just think you an idiot for storming out and cement there view of cyclists, if i felt he was being offensive and not just expressing his opinion i would say it to him straight what i thought of him and see if he wanted to drop me off early?;)

gpx001

Über Member
As a rule I don't ride through red lights, the only exception being those bloomin temporary things that take an age to change and you can clearly see there ain't no one coming the other way.

chris42

Just Don't Do It.!!

Sorry but...
1) against the law
2) dangerous
3) gives us all a bad name
4) make you no better than the prat who runs the red light in a car and kills someone.

THINK.

Beckenham

I'm new to cycling but have been driving for years and it used to really p*ss me off when I saw cyclists going through red lights. I don't do it on my bike. Tell your mate he's being a twat and giving cyclists a bad name.

I had a lorry almost run me off the road the other day and an old bloke nearly drive into me. The lorry driver tried to overtake me when there was a traffic island coming up. I later caught up with him and "expressed my feelings in a forthright manner". I could tell the old guy hadn't seen me and just got out of his way. He still didn't see me!

chris42

Yes just DON'T GO THROUGHT RED LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVER.

If I see someone doing it I make a point of telling them what a twat they are. Even if this means going in a direction I wasn't going in!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what annoys me about the rlj debate is that rlj is used as a blanket term which can cover anything from being slightly ahead of the line whilst stopped at the lights (which i do daily at one set of lights, in my experience far safer than waiting behind the cars as the one behind will always race to get to the junction before i do) right through to sailing through a major intersection with little regard for the safety of others or themselves.

so do i rlj? yes, but no. but whatever, i ride safely with the safety of other road users put before my own convenience (and my safety over their convenience), and i'll do that even if it means "breaking the rules".

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:
if he was the only one, fine

cars jump lights too and it's far more dangerous and anti social when they do it

let alone the third or more driving without insurance, tax, licence, MOT etc etc

Just because there are a few aseh0les out there, doesn't mean you have to be one of them! If you want the respect of your fellow road users, try looking up the word responsibility in a dictionary, then try earning it.

Top Bottom