Going to America. What would you do, take bike or hire one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's £100 each way to take a bike per person. So £200, cost of hire will be less for a good bike. Just remember to take helmets, pump, lights, etc. as I forgot to take all that out to Texas with me and on top of my bike I had to drop even more on accessories.

thom

____
On a rambling US trip last year I hired a bike last Feb/March for a few days in NY. Because of the time of year, many rental places were closed so I could not find one renting a bike with drop handlebars. I think that changes for the spring but maybe make sure you'll be able to secure a suitable option.
I have a bike box and were I too want to go to be in the US for a week or more cycling I think it would be cheaper and less hassle to fly it over, paying the additional luggage fee.

jay clock

Massive member
It's £100 each way to take a bike per person. So £200, cost of hire will be less for a good bike. Just remember to take helmets, pump, lights, etc. as I forgot to take all that out to Texas with me and on top of my bike I had to drop even more on accessories.
BA do not charge for a bike, although the rules are unclear. If you only have a bike and other luggage is carry-on, you can do it free. But do read the rules!

Leaway2

Lycrist
It varies between airlines. When I was working in San Francisco, I bought an ex rental bike from a LBS. They fitted new brakes. It was a Trek MTB cant remember the model, but it was nothing special. I paid £60 for it. When the boss found out he let me ex it (would have got something better!). My Son has it now.

People seem to forget inflation. My figures are from Austin at the end of November. You can probably have a free bike without your kit. Not sure I'd want to go for a long holiday without hold luggage.

jay clock

Massive member
People seem to forget inflation. My figures are from Austin at the end of November. You can probably have a free bike without your kit. Not sure I'd want to go for a long holiday without hold luggage.
inflation? in 2 mths? My point is that £200 return is not the standard deal. And re baggage, BA do not have a weight limit on the carry on. so if you pack lots of stuff in your bike box or bag, you can manage well

inflation? in 2 mths? My point is that £200 return is not the standard deal. And re baggage, BA do not have a weight limit on the carry on. so if you pack lots of stuff in your bike box or bag, you can manage well

No, my point was that my figures are accurate. When did you last fly a bike to the US and back?

BA has a 23kg limit, and charges for oversized bags, which a bike would be:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Mr McHenry

Virgin don't charge for bikes. They allow up to 23Kg in addition to your luggage allowance. I took a bike to Cape Town in an old box from the LBS no problem.
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage/sports-equipment.html

Top Bottom