Going to America. What would you do, take bike or hire one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We are going to New York in May, to cycle a bit and sight see a bit. We could take our own bikes, buy a couple of bike bags, bung on the plane, at the other end set up and oorft we go.

Or

Go to New York Bike shop and hire a couple of budget road bikes.

What d'ya reckon?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Not trying to drum up business over here, but wouldn't it cost quite a bit to ship bikes over and back? Still and all, it seems better to have a bike you know, and that you know is well maintained . Where do you plan to ride? If New York City, bring a good strong lock.New York is beautiful in May, but it may also be a busy time for cycle rentals. Check with the airline about baggage rules and charges, and whether you need a box instead of a bag . I think Virgin Atlantic has some more liberal rules about cycle carriage as baggage . Don't actually know this, just heard it from a fellow at church.

MrB1obby

Depends on price. I'd much prefer to have my own bike over there so I can get some cool snaps ^_^

I thought that it only cost about £50-80 to take a bike over on the plane, and I'm sure it would cost nearly as much to hire a bike. So actually yes I'd prefer to take the bike, especially as cycling will be a fair portion of your holiday.

Buy a couple of old British 531 classics that fit you well enough that you can ride them to a few bike shops. Sell them to whichever shop offers you the best trade in and buy a couple of new bikes with rhe proceeds. Ride the new bikes until you get them home and sell them.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As far as I can tell, it's not going to cost any extra to ship the bikes over, but it will cost about £80 each for a couple of bike bags, plus the hassle of taking them and collecting them, plus I'm concerned they might get damaged.

It will cost about $55 dollars a day each to hire a couple of decentish road bikes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Manhattan has a great cycle path called the Greenway which circles Manhattan. You can also cycle all the way down to Rockaway Beach in Brooklyn. Cycling over Brooklyn Bridge is a great experience, but watch out for wayward peds.

If you haven't seen it already, HERE is a link to NYC's cycling maps.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Manhattan has a great cycle path called the Greenway which circles Manhattan. You can also cycle all the way down to Rockaway Beach in Brooklyn. Cycling over Brooklyn Bridge is a great experience, but watch out for wayward peds.

If you haven't seen it already, HERE is a link to NYC's cycling maps.

Thanks for the link, I haven't seen that.

Hire Them

If your only doing a few days, for ease and peace of mind I'd just hire bikes. Saves having to look after your rides before you start cycling?

MarkF

Guru
Would rather not have the hassle of packing & worrying for such short holiday. Plus, a decent wheeled bike bag will cost £70 (ish) and be worth tuppence when you come back.

Top Bottom