Going Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Spin

Über Member
I'm out for 4-5 rides a week usually. The last few weeks I have had at least one puncture a week and am getting fed up with standing beside the road fixing the puncture, usually in the wet, so after a lifetime of tubes I've taken the plunge. Just ordered a pair of 28mm Hutchinson road tyres....wish me luck!

Last edited:
Have you ordered the rest as well, sealant, valves, rim tape. The biggest size tyre Hutchinson does is 32mm, do you mean the Sectors in 28mm

I'm out for 4-5 rides a week usually. The last few weeks I have had at least one puncture a week and am getting fed up with standing beside the road fixing the puncture, usually in the wet, so after a lifetime of tubes I've taken the plunge. Just ordered a pair of 28mm Hutchinson 38mm road tyres....wish me luck!
I wish you and your tyre levers luck.

U

User482

I'm out for 4-5 rides a week usually. The last few weeks I have had at least one puncture a week and am getting fed up with standing beside the road fixing the puncture, usually in the wet, so after a lifetime of tubes I've taken the plunge. Just ordered a pair of 28mm Hutchinson 38mm road tyres....wish me luck!

I recommend fitting your new tyres with tubes, and leaving overnight. They seat much more easily if you do that first.

My Schwalbe Pro Ones fit without tyre levers...

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Big fan of tubeless since moving to them. Some rim and tyre pairing can make getting the tyres on hard work but I don't think that is exclusive to tubeless.

RIde almost every week day and so far in six months I have had two punctures, one last week and one a few weeks ago. On both occasions the puncture must have occured in the morning ride, I noticed nothing at the time but when I came back to the bike in the evening I found the rear deflated. Checked the tyre for any major damage, pumped it back up to a rideable pressure using a mini pump and cycled home. Once home pumped it fully with track pump and no deflation over night.

Good luck!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Don't know anyone else's experience but my experience of standard Stan's Sealant is that is it not good at sealing punctures whilst the wheel is spinning and even then won't hold higher pressures on road tubeless. Hutchinson has worked better and Orange sealant is supposed to be really good but not tried.

U

User482

I use Continental sealant - I've only had one puncture (to my knowledge) which sealed with the loss of about 20 psi. I know that mtb types tend to use Stan's with success, so problems could be related to higher road pressures. You do need to give the bottle a very good shake before applying, as the particles tend to settle at the bottom of the bottle.

OP
OP
Will Spin

Will Spin

Über Member
I have 25 mm continental all seasons now with tubes. They're not that old, probably done about 1000 miles, but getting a lot of punctures, mainly flint shards and thorns, probably will keep them in reserve for use on one of my summer bikes.
Have you ordered the rest as well, sealant, valves, rim tape. The biggest size tyre Hutchinson does is 32mm, do you mean the Sectors in 28mm
Yes, sorry I meant 28mm! I've ordered the sealant, got the valves which came with the wheels (Shim Ultegra) and I don't think I need the rim tape as the wheels are "tubeless ready".

Last edited:
You will need the sealant in before the Sectors will seal(they are apparently more pourous than some other tubeless),I had to do this with mine and you may also need more sealant than it recommends on Stan's( if you have bought Stan's).

Might be worth getting some levers like these(although Sectors are some of the easiest to fit);

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/koolstop-tyre-mate/

Good luck; there will be some times it may seem a pain but it is worth it and the sectors are nice tyres.

OP
OP
Will Spin

Will Spin

Über Member
I went out for a ride this morning with the old tubed continental four seasons...got another puncture in the muddiest lane in Hampshire, so was very pleased to find the box from Wiggle with my new tyres waiting for me when I got back. Spent the afternoon cleaning the bike and fitting the Hutchinsons. I got the tyres on fairly easily - didn't need any tyre levers (maybe due to a lifetime of practice re-fitting tyres beside the road) and got the sealant into them without too much mess. Managed to pump them up with my track pump, there was a small problem with the tyre bead not seating around the valve area, but managed to manipulate the tyre bead towards the rim and off the valve, after that they pumped straight up. The tyres seem ok, I've pumped them up to 120 psi to make sure they've seated properly and they seem to be holding pressure, there is a small amount of sealant foaming up around the tyre beading, but I suppose this is to be expected until they seal, anyway I've left the bike on the stand in the garage so I can go and spin the wheels from time to time. Mudguards are a little tight but not rubbing, so I hope will be OK when on the road. Just wondering what spares/emergency repair items to take with me out on the road.

Top Bottom