Going Tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony78

I'm out for 4-5 rides a week usually. The last few weeks I have had at least one puncture a week and am getting fed up with standing beside the road fixing the puncture, usually in the wet, so after a lifetime of tubes I've taken the plunge. Just ordered a pair of 28mm Hutchinson road tyres....wish me luck!
Can we get these for mavic 319 rims? 29ers?

OP
OP
Will Spin

Will Spin

Über Member

Well I have been running tubeless since January and everything has held up well so far, no punctures yet so that part is untested. I have both bikes converted, with Schwalbe G-One 40mm on one and Schwalbe S-One 30mm on the other. All running Orange Seal inside.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Will Spin

Will Spin

Über Member
Yes mine have worked out to be a success. I've had a few punctures, but each time the sealant has done its work and I've been able to carry on without stopping. I've had one or two bigger holes that have sealed ok while out on the ride, I repaired these later at home with a patch on the inside of the tyre just to be safe.

Yes mine have worked out to be a success. I've had a few punctures, but each time the sealant has done its work and I've been able to carry on without stopping. I've had one or two bigger holes that have sealed ok while out on the ride, I repaired these later at home with a patch on the inside of the tyre just to be safe.
Which rim/tyre combo are you running. Does it all seal up fine again easily after the internal patching? Do you remove the sealant and reuse it?

OP
OP
Will Spin

Will Spin

Über Member
I've got Shimano 6800 rims, Hutchinson Sector 28s and Hutchinson sealant. I don't remove and reuse sealant, there isn't much of it in 28mm tyres anyway and by the time the tyre's off I doubt any would be salvageable. I don't seem to have a problem getting the tyres reseated and sealed, usually use a CO2 capsule to get the initial seal, but then deflate the tyre and refill with air as the C02 seems to react with the sealant.

I'm running a tubeless disc on the TT bike and despite it being very messy I found it easy to fit similar to a new clincher to fit and sealed/ popped into place first time and I think it sealed two p'tures ok without me noticing it until after the event. I used a CO2 cannister the first time and one of those tubeless air tanks when I topped up the fluid last week.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Recently had to take off my Schwalbe Pro One 25's from my Hunt Aero Race and they were a pain to get back on. Complete opposite to my Hunt 4 season gravel and Schwalbe Pro One 28's. Seems evident that rim tyre combo plays a factor in how tight. Happy since converting to tubeless.

Top Bottom