Going well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I've done about 200 miles since i went clipless and i was getting the hang of it. But i was behind a bus today, we werent moving very fast, about 5mph because we were coming up to a roundabout. Anyway, i thought he was going to go, so i didnt unclip, but he didnt, so well you can guess what happened. xx( Funny thing was, the foot i tried to unclip was unclipped when i was on the floor.
I think i'm ok, i landed on my knee mainly, which is abit stiff, and my hand which is feeling good.
It was all out of site of the fit paper girl though. It was just in front of a few cars and an old women trying to cross the road.
Feeling rather embarrissed, the ride was going so well. The weather was nice aswell, sunshine,not too cold and hardly any wind.
Unclipping has gone abit since then, it used to be smooth, but when i got back on i was having to use more force which ment my foot went out quickly instead of smoothly. Could i use my overshoe getting caught on the pedal as an excuse?

monnet

Guru
Overshoe getting caught is definitely an excuse, especially when you've not been 'clipless' very long. You'll soon get back into it- itwas one of those incidents that hapen to stop you getting cocky with yourself!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've been over a couple of times like that owing to a stray shoelace winding round the pedal arm and binding my foot to the pedal!

Thats really embarrassing, sitting in the road, in busy traffic, desperately trying to cut your shoe free with a penknife!

Tx

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happens mate, and always when you go slow - I've done it at the front path to the house a few times.... in my current house I unclip on the road.... don't want to fall into out cars... dents and hurt pride...no thanks.

You'll be an expert soon.

longers

Legendary Member
Joe, next time you have a clipless moment, stand up and take a bow. It cheers everyone else up xx(.

If the papergirl is watching she will think you're great for being able to laugh at yourself. Maybe.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately Joe...fit girls often think cyclist are weirdo's - you'll just have to make her know that a proper physically fit fella is the best... can't say anymore as you are a youngster..... xx( :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

fossyant said:
Unfortunately Joe...fit girls often think cyclist are weirdo's - you'll just have to make her know that a proper physically fit fella is the best... can't say anymore as you are a youngster..... :thumbsup: :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

That might explain the strange looks then.:tongue: I'll remember to take a bow if it happenes again, add abit of fun to it all.
My knee was hurting me abit yesterday, not too bad today. My right knee has a bruise on it where it hit the bike, and my left knee has some marks on it where it went down on the floor.
Whats the best way to fall, if i ever am going to fall again without hurting myself too much?

stevenb

Fallen many times with clipless pedals.
You learn how to fall after a while too. :thumbsup:
Not fallen off the road bike yet (fingers crossed etc etc).
I generally unclip before any junction or hidden corner...just incase.
I have been riding clipless since I was a teenager and would never go back to toe clips and straps.

longers

Legendary Member
*has a couple of practise goes in the living room*

:thumbsup:

Natural reaction is to put a hand out, so wearing gloves when out and about will save your palms.

I try to take the fall on my upper arm/lower shoulder area or at least roll my body towards that area as I fall. *touches wood*. It's worked so far.

Keep your knees in.

Watch your head.

girofan

Being 6' 4" I have a long way to fall. I can read War & Peace before hitting the tarmac! :smile: Very embarrassing I know. Another cyclist hit the floor at lights in front of me some time ago. He was even more red-faced than you as he fell in front of another roadie :tongue::blush:. Smile your on CCTV.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

longers said:
*has a couple of practise goes in the living room*

:thumbsup:

Natural reaction is to put a hand out, so wearing gloves when out and about will save your palms.

I try to take the fall on my upper arm/lower shoulder area or at least roll my body towards that area as I fall. *touches wood*. It's worked so far.

Keep your knees in.

Watch your head.

Yeh, my knee went out. I should have carried on going and rolled on my back and started to pedal again. Might have looked strange.
My hand did go out, and i think the padding on the palms of the gloves helped.
Cheers

Top Bottom