Going without The News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would have thought That Grauniad was the worst offender.
It's like Viz compared to The Observer, if I remember correctly.

I have "The Week" every Friday. Keeps me up to speed on the major topics. No t.v., rely on this forum and BBC sport for general stuff. Not sure I miss out on a lot!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
"No news is good news"? :whistle:

My sister often says that but it doesn't make sense to me ... If a crazed lunatic kidnapped all your family members and you never heard from them again, I wouldn't call that good news***!

*** I suppose it depends on how you get on with your family members! :laugh:

You've not met my family, have you? :laugh:

As annoying as the news is, I think it prudent to be ready for the forthcoming nuke strike.

Would there be any advantage to knowing? :scratch:

Mind you, if I hear the 3 minute warning I'm off to stand in the back yard to watch the fireworks (5 miles from the city centre, 1 mile from a former Royal Ordnance factory and 10 miles from a former RAF base, both of which are almost certainly still programmed into some aging Russian targeting system). Better to go out with a bang than the long, painful, lingering end a nuclear winter would bring.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 4779190, member: 9609"]yes, get the bike somewhere safe, and let the air out of the tyres, apparently if they are fully inflated the shock wave can damage the rims - also elcectronc gps bollox computers things probably won't work so you will need to have a traditional milometer at the ready to be fitted.[/QUOTE]
With luck, the sound of the explosion will have blown your eardrums to smithereens so you won't have to listen to that click-click-click-click-fer-click's-sake-click-click.

I no longer trust news editors. I source my own news direct from the internet, so I get to hear what I think I need to know not what some news editor thinks I need to know. And in the mornings I'm listening to Radio 2 rather than watching tv breakfast news.

With luck, the sound of the explosion will have blown your eardrums to smithereens so you won't have to listen to that click-click-click-click-fer-click's-sake-click-click.
When i first got into this cycling lark i went and bought some ridiculously puncture proof tyres called Dutch perfect,i'm convinced they would have withstood a nuclear holocaust , mind they've long since been binned although to their credit nothing ever penetrated them.

I havenae bought a newspaper for years*, and usually only catch snippets on radio of what is deemed by the mainstream media as "news"

* other than a newspaper in Belfast when the Giro d'Italia was there and a couple of 'papers when I was at Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2015 and 2017, I read none of them but have them as souvenirs

screenman

Legendary Member
My SIL worries about having nothing to worry about the two newspapers a day and three on Sunday's I feel may not be helpful.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was spending £14 a week on my bad news habit. I must have been bonkers. The only disadvantage of not buying a newspaper is that you have nothing on which to clean paintbrushes. Fortunately, the shop on the corner gives away free copies of The Evening Standard.

Top Bottom