Going without The News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I stopped buying news papers about 25 years ago and only catch the news because its on the tv i dont look at .
I bought a news paper for the decorator on the job i was on a few weeks ago as i was going to the shop but i swapped every other page around so it was upside down . That was more fun than reading it and better fun when he said the next day his wife asked what had happened to the paper .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wish I could find a decent news web site.....

There isn't any decent news, it's all bad, and bad for your mental equilibrium as well. I particularly like this bit in the Guardian article........

News is toxic to your body. It constantly triggers the limbic system. Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation.

tyred

Legendary Member
If I am in a cafe, pub, dentist's waiting room or anywhere else where there are newspapers lying around I will sometimes have a flick through one and generally find them full of nonsense about celebrities I don't celebrate, scare mongering bullshit and opinionated nonsense designed to appeal to the paper's target audience and I congratulate myself on the money I have saved by not buying it!

I recommend this.

Drago

Legendary Member
I could do with a news free environment for a while. If I hear the words "strong and stable government" one more time I may just be slightly annoyed.

I could do with a news free environment for a while. If I hear the words "strong and stable government" one more time I may just be slightly annoyed.
The mute button is very good for that sort of thing. Whenever somebody pops up on tv who I know is going to wind me up I hit the mute until they move to another story. Doesn't work so well if my wife was wanting to hear what they had to say...

Top Bottom