Gold coins ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Like this...(sorry, it is gold, dummy here had the camera set to B&W :tongue:

gold.jpg

gold1.jpg

My 9 year old grandson showed me it tonight :wacko::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

WTF !!!!!! ( no, i didnt really swear at him :biggrin: )...where did you get that ?

Evidently, him and his dad were metal detecting on some old pits locally, grandson found it, cleaned it up and there it is !!!

The only distinct writing on it appears to say EXANO???..the last letters are indistinct.

Any input anyone ?
Roman, iron age..anything ?

I'd get back to the 'find-site' rapidly and carry on detecting! That could be valuable! Not that I know anything about old gold coins! :tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Spanish?

(I'm not suggesting that because I know anything. Just another possibility. All I know about coins is that bus drivers like 'em better than notes)

Coins

simonali

Guru
I once got given a 1920s Swiss gold coin by a firm I worked for. I took it to a stamp/coin shop and they gave me about £60 for it which I spent on some top of the range Look shoes!

Dread to think what it might be worth today?!

Mr Pig

That's pretty cool. If it fits in a slot machine you could get a Mars Bar for that! ;0)

Could the mysterious text have originally said "REX ANNO"? Could be a clue if you can work out who the Rex was at that particular Anno...

That cross looks quite like the arms of the Knights Hospitaller (example). Would make sense as the Templars and Hospitallers invented modern banking (you left your cash in Europe and carried promisary notes to exchange at approved points on the way to the Middle East - much safer than carrying chests of gold with you)

Night Train

Maker of Things
Ahhh, so that's where I dropped it! Thank you, I'll pm my address if you could send it back. :tongue:

My Dad used to collect coins and once lost a very rare farthing that was worth thousands.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I believe it is treasure trove and must by law be reported to the govt, though I'm not sure who & how. AIUI, if the govt wants it (for a museum, etc) it will pay for it.

Ben

Carwash

Señor Member
redshift said:

Seconded, very strongly. Report it to the Portable Antiquities Scheme via your local Finds Liaison Officer (the website will tell you how). If you have details of the location/find spot, they would be most welcomed. PM me if you have any questions.

Top Bottom