1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gold coins ?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Jun 2008.

1. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Like this...(sorry, it is gold, dummy here had the camera set to B&W :tongue:

gold.jpg

gold1.jpg

My 9 year old grandson showed me it tonight :wacko::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

WTF !!!!!! ( no, i didnt really swear at him :biggrin: )...where did you get that ?

Evidently, him and his dad were metal detecting on some old pits locally, grandson found it, cleaned it up and there it is !!!

The only distinct writing on it appears to say EXANO???..the last letters are indistinct.

Any input anyone ?
    Roman, iron age..anything ?

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I'd get back to the 'find-site' rapidly and carry on detecting! That could be valuable! Not that I know anything about old gold coins! :tongue:

3. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

The cross should date it as post the date when Constantine introduced Christianity to the Roman Empire.

4. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Spanish?

(I'm not suggesting that because I know anything. Just another possibility. All I know about coins is that bus drivers like 'em better than notes)

Coins

5. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

But they didn't have buses in pre-Conquest times when it looks like that was minted.

6. redshift

redshift Senior Member

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

I once got given a 1920s Swiss gold coin by a firm I worked for. I took it to a stamp/coin shop and they gave me about £60 for it which I spent on some top of the range Look shoes!

Dread to think what it might be worth today?!

8. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

The wallet is certainly pre-1950s! :tongue::wacko:

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

That's pretty cool. If it fits in a slot machine you could get a Mars Bar for that! ;0)

10. OP
    OP
    gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I'll have you know, that wallet cost me £3 off the market. :sad:
    Its only got to last 6 months to beat its predecessor....errrrrrrr :blush:

11. Horace Goes Skiing

Horace Goes Skiing New Member

Could the mysterious text have originally said "REX ANNO"? Could be a clue if you can work out who the Rex was at that particular Anno...

That cross looks quite like the arms of the Knights Hospitaller (example). Would make sense as the Templars and Hospitallers invented modern banking (you left your cash in Europe and carried promisary notes to exchange at approved points on the way to the Middle East - much safer than carrying chests of gold with you)

12. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Ahhh, so that's where I dropped it! Thank you, I'll pm my address if you could send it back. :tongue:

My Dad used to collect coins and once lost a very rare farthing that was worth thousands.

13. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

I believe it is treasure trove and must by law be reported to the govt, though I'm not sure who & how. AIUI, if the govt wants it (for a museum, etc) it will pay for it.

Ben

14. Carwash

Carwash Señor Member

Seconded, very strongly. Report it to the Portable Antiquities Scheme via your local Finds Liaison Officer (the website will tell you how). If you have details of the location/find spot, they would be most welcomed. PM me if you have any questions.