Gold mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'll be getting round to building my Galaxy back up soon (well, in the next year or so!) - it's been resprayed red, so I like the idea of gold detail - I've already lined the lugs gold. The mudguards I had on it before were a mismatched pair - one silver, one gold(goldy/bronze), and I'd quite like a gold pair to replace them, but a quick look online only seems to throw up silver or black. Can you not get gold any more? Ideally, I'd like SKS just 'coz that's the name I know....

I may just not have looked long enough, and with funds limited, I may just bung the old kit back on for now, and do detail later...

bonj2

I used to have some on the bike that is now my fixed but I threw them in the bin. Best place for them imho.
Could try the landfill?
Failing that try gold paint.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
I used to have some on the bike that is now my fixed but I threw them in the bin. Best place for them imho.
Could try the landfill?
Failing that try gold paint.

I don't think gold paint is quite going to give the effect I'm looking for, and is likely to chip off, but thanks for the thought...

Randochap

Senior hunter
MacBludgeon said:
Arch, Chainreaction have some by Electra that look a bit 'blingy', though this one is more brown than gold, they do seem to have a range of colours:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15315

Those are Electra Hawaii fenders-- made specifically for that bike -- 26" and very wide. I'm presuming the OP is asking for mudguards for a Dawes Galaxy? Those would be 700c and 45mm at most, no?

ESGE used to make gold mudguards (I had some), but now SKS doesn't produce them. Somafab makes some interesting colours, but no gold.

There's word in the grapevine that brass fenders will soon be available from Honjo-Koken. Those would be beautiful! I'm planning a bike around them already! Get out the Brasso!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
:biggrin::tongue::tongue:
You'd best start saving Arch!!! I'm sat here feeling rather gutted that my lug-lining's in silver!:bicycle:

Oh lord, those are shiny! You'd need guards to protect your guards!

Yes, it's a Dawes Galaxy, so standard touring size. I did see the Electra ones, but wrong size...

Yeah, I reckon it was the ESGE ones I had one of a pair of before. (All my bikes end up mismatched, its probably the ghost of my beloved Tom who helped me build them up, and who always wore odd socks on principle, and who I lost 2 years ago this very weekend :tongue: )

My last hope might be the York CTC rally - sometimes there are odds and ends there. Or maybe BikeRescue will get a bike in with some on, that I could scavenge. I'm not bothered about them being pristine (although I'd like SKS quick release on the front one, for safety).

Pity, you'd think with all the cycling pounds out there, gold would be an option?

Randochap

Senior hunter
BTW, I went with the gold highlight theme on my latest bike. Note the gold Chris King HS.

striptivo.jpg

I think gold mudguards might be a bit much though (when I have it kitted out for long rides in the rain), so I'm planning on some plain Honjos. It looks pretty good w/ silver SKS.

bonj2

it's not many a road bike frame will take a CK headset, most are integrated. did you have them fashion the headtube specially?

Randochap

Senior hunter
bonj said:
it's not many a road bike frame will take a CK headset, most are integrated. did you have them fashion the headtube specially?

Nothing special as far as the head tube goes -- the Sportivo line is stock non-integrated. It's just the geometry and tyre clearance I had done custom. Nonetheless, I wouldn't have considered an integrated HS.

bonj2

Randochap said:
Nothing special as far as the head tube goes -- the Sportivo line is stock non-integrated. It's just the geometry and tyre clearance I had done custom. Nonetheless, I wouldn't have considered an integrated HS.

what you mean you'd refuse to have one?
they're not that bad, other than the fact that CK don't make one.

Arch said:
I'll be getting round to building my Galaxy back up soon (well, in the next year or so!) - it's been resprayed red, so I like the idea of gold detail - I've already lined the lugs gold. The mudguards I had on it before were a mismatched pair - one silver, one gold(goldy/bronze), and I'd quite like a gold pair to replace them, but a quick look online only seems to throw up silver or black. Can you not get gold any more? Ideally, I'd like SKS just 'coz that's the name I know....

I may just not have looked long enough, and with funds limited, I may just bung the old kit back on for now, and do detail later...

Oddly enough, when I had my Galaxy resprayed I had it done in red with gold detail. They look really classy like that. Don't know where you'll get gold mudguards, though.

Top Bottom