Gold rated cable/coil locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shrew

Hi folks

As a requirement of cycle insurance i need a gold rated lock for when im out and about, im having a really hard time finding one and almost every site i go on doesnt tell me its "Sold Secure" rating.

id really like a coil/cable or as lightweight a lock as it can be whilst still being gold rated, if anyone can help, id greatly appreciate it )

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
This is where you will find the info. Click on the orange panel and download the pdf file.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
slowmotion said:

Yes and did you know you that apparantly you can remove a bank cash machine with a JCB ..........

If you want to nick a bike there will always be a way to do it, personally I dont care I just make sure I use a lock my insurance company is happy with and if it gets nicked I get a new bike at the moment that seems to be the best you can do.

Personally I would never leave my bike unattended anywhere, if im not on it im within a few feet of it or it is locked in my house. But I appreciate that not everyone can do that and that link that Gerry Attrick posted shows all the approved locks in one place which I think is excellent coz at the moment there really isnt much choice other than to use the locks the insurance company demand to cover your arse and too see them all in one place is very useful. I totally agree that they might not stop your bike getting nicked but what else is a person to do.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
shrew said:
As a requirement of cycle insurance i need a gold rated lock [...] id really like a coil/cable
There's unfortunately no such beast. Any cable can be cut in two seconds flat with hand-croppers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just get the SoldSecure rated lock that your insurance people demand, take a bit of care where you leave it, and don't worry.

That cash machine/ JCB idea sounds interesting, BTW. Send me a PM if we can take the project further.

CopperBrompton

HLaB said:
According to the site there is but I d agree with you.
Which cable-lock do they reckon is Sold Secure Gold?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ben Lovejoy said:
Which cable-lock do they reckon is Sold Secure Gold?

I think there have been one or two cable locks over the years. One of them was very expensive though something like £50.

CopperBrompton

HLaB said:
They list 3, I was surprised they existed!
A couple from Abus, the Granit Steel O Flex 1000/100 and 1000/80
and Trelock MP650 Cable Lock
Just looked up the Granit Steel, and it's only sort-of a cable-lock, as the cable itself is inside a steel shield:
http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?Scre...23433217&select=0104b03&artikel=4003318100222

Edit: Looks like the Trelock is the same design.

I can't really see a benefit over a D-lock, as the bulk and weight seem very similar.

OP
OP
S

shrew

Thanks for all the replies, all im really looking for is a sold secure gold lock thats as light as possible, if it gets nicked by someone then thats what the insurance is for, just need to do my bit )

Top Bottom