Golden Compass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Who's going to see it then? We probably will - I love fantasy and CGI stuff, watched my way through the whole LoTR and HP series ... I have read all three of the Pullman trilogy: thought the first one went down quite well though I rather lost my way on the second and third books. But I'm sure the movie'll be good for a couple hours' entertainment.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It'll be on my list of "Oh, meant to see that but never got round to it...";) Certainly keener on that than on LotR.

I have to say, I've been made to feel quick thick by the coverage - the Catholic church apparently think it's anti-Catholic. I never spot stuff like that in books. I never spotted the whole Aslan is Jesus thing in CS Lewis, I just thought it was a jolly good story...

Carwash

Señor Member
(You mean, of course, 'Northern Lights'. :biggrin:

I don't know if it's made by Disney or not, but the trailers I've seen have looked very Disnified. Disappointing. Found some of the casting a little surprising as well (ages, more than anything). Definitely not how I imagined it.

(I'm not just saying that to be curmudgeonly - I thought the look and feel of the Harry Potter films got it spot-on.)

SamNichols

It is rampantly Anti-Church that it's unbelievable: it's like the anti-Narnia. The bady guys are called 'Magisterium' - quite unsubtle given that this is the word for the Catholic Church's teaching authority. Pullman is a very angry athiest. That said, they're great books - I enjoy kids books that challenge adults, and don't patronise to kids in the least.
I'm going to see it as I like the cast: McKellen, Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman, Sam Elliott and Eva Green (yum): it'll be good to see how its done, and the initial reviews appear to be good (just as long as its better than Narnia. Yuck).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I thought the trailers had got the look quite well - especially the daemons - and the casting appears to be spot on. And anything that causes organised religion to get all up-tight and self-righteous is fine by me. I just wonder what they will make of the third book and a senile and dying God?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Will definitely be seeing it. Although everytime I've seen the trailer the last couple of weeks I've had a laugh, just think it amusing Daniel Craig is cast as Lord Asriel. The cast is good though, just find that amusing. It's not disney.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For once there is a film I'm actually looking forward enough to see that I'll actually venture into popcorn smelling flick-house.
From the trailer it seems to fit well with my imaginings. Much like Arch, even though I'm vaguely aware of the religious angle, I cant recall it as being the major theme (OK I'm shallow..), I found it a rollicking good read.
Need to finish the last book, got a 1/3rd of the way in and my daughter stole it from me...

col

Legendary Member
Im looking forward to this too,on disk,i dont want it spoiled at the pictures.As for the religion side,it doesnt cross my mind,just enjoy the film for what it is i say.

Melvil

I'm crossing my fingers that its good as I did quite enjoy the books...Nicole Kidman has bombed in almost every recent film she's done so I hope she doesn't follow her own trend in this one..

Flying_Monkey said:
I thought the trailers had got the look quite well - especially the daemons - and the casting appears to be spot on. And anything that causes organised religion to get all up-tight and self-righteous is fine by me. I just wonder what they will make of the third book and a senile and dying God?

Having seen the trailer (at Ratatouille) our 9yo daughter only went and bought the book today (from school book sale) - I think I might confiscate it...

...just kidding. :biggrin:

I'll be interested to see what she makes of it, and we'll probably be going to see the film too.

Big Bren

I'll be taking my son to see it sometime in the Xmas hols; we're both huge fans of fantasy and sci-fi, so we often seek refuge from the girls by going on a boys only trip to the cinema. We usually go home via the bike shop too, just to round things off nicely.

I loved the books - although anti-narnia is pretty spot-on. Thing is, the books were so good, I sort of know I'll be disappointed by the film, it's the same with every harry potter movie that comes out, so I'm not sure if I should really put myself through it at the cinema :biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
Did wonder when I heard that they were making it how well they would pull off the daemons from the trailer it looks like like they have done it really well.

Read and enjoyed all 3 books will go with an open mind and hope they have done it justice. Pullman is happy apparently with changes made from book to film. Its got to be better than the Return of the King which was awful.

Top Bottom