golf better than cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
If ITV had used Sean Kelly for their coverage it would of been a different story :giggle:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the BBC isn't going to do cycling. The TdF clashes with Wimbledon. It's been amusing to watch them turn themselves inside out pushing the Tour down the pecking order of sports news.

Nearly there

Veteran
If cycling on tv becomes available to the masses in the way other sports have im sure viewing figures will rise especially now we have a british champion,who would have thought we'd see brad in a time trial on itv1 and to pull in 3 million viewers is pretty good id say.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I had people at work today telling me they don't understand cycle racing. And multi-week events like the TDF really bamboozle them.

I told them I feel the same way about football, cricket, tennis, golf, rugby........

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I had people at work today telling me they don't understand cycle racing.

Same here. Track cycling is relatively easier to follow, hence more popular for a Brit audience.

As for golf, the best thing I can say is that without it, we wouldn't have PG Wodehouse's brilliant golf stories. Shame Plum never took up cycling.

d.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Football - 22 blokes (or women) kicking a bag of wind about. 2-3 of them doing something, but the other 19-20 of them just stood about idle.

195 cyclists all on the road at the same time, vying for points/sprints/climbs/GC - breaking away, bridging a gap, getting dropped, mechanicals, crashes, feed stations, ferrying bidons, dogs, horses, spectators handbags, off-roading, lead-out-trains hitting 40-50mph!!!

What isn't to like?

beastie

Guru
Football - 22 blokes (or women) kicking a bag of wind about. 2-3 of them doing something, but the other 19-20 of them just stood about idle.

Stone the unbeliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... Presuming a British rider has an interest in the closing stages of the 2013 TdF what might ITV do to boost the numbers?

I'm not sure they need to boost the numbers.

I found the coverage this year excellent, as it has been for several years now.

Other people find golf gripping in a way that I do not.

There are programmes now about extreme fishing. I am similarly unmoved by that prospect.

I like cycling as it is. My interest in racing goes little further than the TdF, the other GTs and some of the better known classics. These days I can catch snippets of them online.

Golf is more popular than cycling. I have no problem being in a minority.

I'm told that we'd have capital punishment in the UK if there were a referendum. Sometimes minorities are a nice place to be.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
the BBC isn't going to do cycling. The TdF clashes with Wimbledon. It's been amusing to watch them turn themselves inside out pushing the Tour down the pecking order of sports news.

I know they aren't, but it's not as difficult as the past.

Wimbledon gets BBC1 (and BBC2 after 6pm). BBC3 for late matches. Red button.

TdF gets BBC2 or BBC3 if you want to be mean (3 sometimes has extended hours like now but rarely) and/or for highlights. Meerkat stuff :whistle: . Tennis can go on BBC 2 when the tour and/or highlights shows aren't.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Phil Ligget mentioned last Sunday that people tune into the TdF not just for the cycling, but for the "beautiful countryside, the views of the chateaus, the eccentric roadside spectators" etc. I know a few who watch it mainly just for those things. What is there to watch or look at on a golf course, apart from the course itself, and the sky as the ball flys through the air? I can't see anyone watching golf unless they play the game themselves.

Top Bottom