Gone clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Well took the plunge today and removed the pedals with toeclips off the road bike
Put on some shimano spd pedals put the shoes on with the cleats fitted, gritted my teeth and set off for a couple of small trips to get used to them.:sad:

First junction unclipped no problem.
It felt a bit strange but just kept reminding myself to unclip
All junctions unclipped ok and no problems.It was starting to feel ok:thumbsup:
Only shaky moment was when i turned into my drive unclipped r/h foot as this is the one i allways put down.L/H foot was up at the top so minor panic but all was fine if a bit wobbly.:bravo: I presume this will improve.
Just a question to finish up.Do i need to add loctite to these pedals when i am convinced to leave them on?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No need to use Loctite. Just grease the threads and tighten them to about 35 Nm. (in the right direction...:rolleyes: )

defy-one

Beware Beware ... You will have a clipless moment day 2 ,3 or 4

I was thinking these are great. Unclipped my left foot as i always do to put that one down,but unexpectedly tipped right and over!!!
Grazed knee and bashed ego! Lol

defy-one

The thing is now i miss the cleats when on my beater bike or mtb!!!

I even flick my heals when coming to a rest :smile:

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
Thanks all
I'll keep you all posted as to progress i think if i survive unscaled after a week of commuting i should be on the way to automation regarding unclipping.
Now another question how do i measure 35nm with an open ended spanner as i cannot see how to use a torquewrench on them.I used the old method tought to us in the navy long spanner to undo and short spanner to tighten.

I nearly went over yesterday. Not had a moment in years then yesterday I was on my way down but salvaged it with zero time to spare. No witnesses this time but going over at traffic lights when I had made my way to the front of the queue was my most embarassing moment. I think I got up quicker than I went down and just shot off through the red light. :blush:

RhythMick

Über Member
Personally I found clip less to be great on pure road rides, but I HATED HATED HATED being clipped while on trails, canal towpaths, etc. it's a mental thing - but when it's at all slippery I just don't enjoy riding clipped in.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks all
I'll keep you all posted as to progress i think if i survive unscaled after a week of commuting i should be on the way to automation regarding unclipping.
Now another question how do i measure 35nm with an open ended spanner as i cannot see how to use a torquewrench on them.I used the old method tought to us in the navy long spanner to undo and short spanner to tighten.
You can measure the torque with a spring balance ( the sort of thing that fishermen use to weigh their catches). Just wire the hook of the balance onto the end of your open spanner, measure the distance fron the open end of the spanner to the hook ( the lever arm) and pull on the balance at right angles to the spanner. Just google "torque"for the calculation.

Good luck.

EDIT: somebody explains it better than me here...
http://www.ehow.com/how_5199110_make-own-torque-wrench.html

Spiky Simon

Regular
Beware Beware ... You will have a clipless moment day 2 ,3 or 4

I was thinking these are great. Unclipped my left foot as i always do to put that one down,but unexpectedly tipped right and over!!!
Grazed knee and bashed ego! Lol

Yup, it's when you start getting all blasé and thinking that you've totally got the hang of it that you'll have a "moment" :smile:

I always apply COPPERSLIP as advised on a bike mechanics course.
Only of bolts you need to be well tight, are exposed to weather and you y need to get off in the future.
Always worked a treat or me

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Just ordered myself a set of shimano m520 spd pedals, the arrive tomorrow, and i will fit them tomorrow...hope i manage to fit them myself

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks all
Don't bother torquing them. Just do 'em up reasonably tight. I work on finger tight then a reasonable nip up with the spanner. Pedals don't undo themselves. Use coppaslip, as one of the most common questions in "Know-how" are to do with "stuck pedals" (comes a close second to seatposts............)

Top Bottom