Gone for a Cervelo S3 instead of a Litespeed C1 or De Rosa SuperKing 888

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As a matter of interest, what are your selection criteria?

Frame, then his preference, followed by groupset and wheels. I'd prefer something from a retailer and re-sale value/potential is important although we're looking for a bike to last him 2-3 years.

S-Express

Just wondering why you seem to have disregarded the PX EC130. It gets great reviews and the spec for that price is an absolute steal. If I was in the market right now for my lad (also U14) that would be first on my list.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@S-Express - not discounted it, just gathering a wider picture. The PX looks good but I'm half-beholden to a 12yo and how they look at things. They're close by and we're planning to go have a look over the next week.

If he doesn't decide he'll find himself racing on my Principia RSLe

I'm guessing at some point your son and mine'll be in the same race - which part of the country are you in?

Last edited:
That Cervelo looks good;the groupset may be older but it's only just been replaced,I've just put 9000 on my Helium and it is very nice.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Decision made: the Litespeed C1 at Wiggle is sold so we've made an offer on the Cervelo and it's been accepted. It's Dura Ace 9000 with decent wheels on a 2015/6 frameset. It means a) I'm poor and b) we'll have an Argon to sell shortly. If I kept my bikes that clean it'd be a miracle!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@al-fresco For reference that's the Bianchi - but minus wheels:

s-l1600.jpg

Will be a pic of that Cervelo up soon I should think.

The only half-decent photo is this one:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks all. Tonight we've picked up the Cervelo S3 together with a spare seatpost and full history.

Child no. 2's happy* and we've him booked in for a bike fit prior to the start of the U14's circuit season next month.

*That was until I pointed out to him that he can no longer blame Dad's incompetent bike building as an excuse in a race.

Top Bottom