Good ‘Nick’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would make for a pretty joyless society, wouldn't it? There's something about healthy dissent and rule bending that, as long as it doesn't harm anyone, gives some colour to the world.

Making his vehicle unidentifiable so he can break the law with impunity, potentially invalidating his own insurance...neither healthy nor harmless.

Society would have so much more joy if everyone just behaved themselves. If people are incapable of observing the minutiae then we tended to also find they were also incapable of observing much more serious laws as wells. It's a visible symptom of what of what is often a much deeper malaise.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
If people are incapable of observing the minutiae then we tended to also find they were also incapable of observing much more serious laws as wells

Hmm . . . I guess we have just both had different experiences in this regard. Perhaps I'm too much of a liberal, but I find draconian (dragonian? ^_^) penalties for small misdemeanours a bit disturbing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I suspect that as they've lifted the car it wasn't a misdemeanour - typical MO is the Bobby phones the insurers hotline and asks if they know their client is driving around with the front number plate missing.

"No, we didn't, and we won't provide cover under such circumstances as it's an undeclared modification/vehicle does not meet all prevailing con and use regs as clearly stated in our T & C's", delete as applicable.

Driving uninsured is very serious, all the more so since if he did cause a smack and then couldn't be identified because his plate is missing.

As aforementioned, dig a bit and most most of the time you'd find that people willing to wilfully disregard such minor laws were usually disregarding some much more important ones in some other regard. They usually just can't help themselves.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Lots of finger pointing, despite NFU admitting it was their error. A situation that could have been avoided by checking his insurance documents after making the change, perhaps?

I know I did when I changed cars. And I also have a PDF of my insurance certificate downloaded on my phone so I have all the details to hand if queried.

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't excuse the use of no front numberplate though. Which would invalidate any insurance. Law requires both front and rear plates to be in use.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Doesn't excuse the use of no front numberplate though. Which would invalidate any insurance. Law requires both front and rear plates to be in use.
Law doesn't see it as particularly serious though - needs fixing, but until then it will be ignored by cars like this (albeit it's rather identifiable/traceable, I think!)

classic33

Leg End Member
Problem is a lot tend to be hire cars. The person driving isn't the actual owner. Which was the first thought when I saw the post.

A local example where the same thing happened, no front plate, resulted in a hired car being imponded. The driver just walking away.

classic33

Leg End Member
But if hired, the hirer will know absolutely who was driving - and have ID on record, of course.
The blame then lies with the hire company, hiring a vehicle out in an unroadworthy state/condition.

At the time the vehicle was siezed it was showing as uninsured, and a different vehicle. Good enough reason to stop it.

Top Bottom