Good ‘Nick’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Would make for a pretty joyless society, wouldn't it? There's something about healthy dissent and rule bending that, as long as it doesn't harm anyone, gives some colour to the world.
Making his vehicle unidentifiable so he can break the law with impunity, potentially invalidating his own insurance...neither healthy nor harmless.

Society would have so much more joy if everyone just behaved themselves. If people are incapable of observing the minutiae then we tended to also find they were also incapable of observing much more serious laws as wells. It's a visible symptom of what of what is often a much deeper malaise.
OK, what do you make of this;
upload_2019-7-27_22-42-33.png

I bought and sold an old car just to acquire the registration mark for my Jeep. Cost was negligible, effectively just the transfer fee (£80) and some internet 'show plates' (<£20). Of course, the correct and legal way to display the registration mark would be this:-
upload_2019-7-27_22-47-26.png

But for the sake of a bit of harmless fun I IGNORED the rules and proudly misrepresented my reg no by misspacing it and putting it on a full spec reflective background in the regulation font and proudly mounted it front and back of my vehicle where everyone could see it and think, what a nobber/cool, a modified chunky off-road Jeep with a Jeep plate*.

I have no shame about my actions, even here on a righteous anti-car cycling forum. There was never any intention to conceal identity and the altered reg mark could arguably be more memorable than the standard plate in the case of a hit and run incident.

This is a long, long way from the hidden plates used on debadged cars where the intention clearly is to conceal the cars identity from observers and ANPR systems that would link them to illegal acts.

Does my act of anti-authoritarianism make me a psychopathic law breaker or a lively chap with a bit of character? I know which way my moral compass points, but does this match the generally accepted view of good guy, or am I the thin end of the wedge that leads to lawlessness and disregard for fellow man?

(*delete as appropriate)

classic33

Leg End Member
Registration came back to a different vehicle, which I'd say is reason enough to warrant stopping it.

The insurance company only corrected their records after the incident.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not necessarily, these things are hired, usually for a wedding then Everyman and his dog has a go at thrashing the living daylights out of it
I really doubt that. Hire companies don't hire like that because cars don't survive and/or insurers won't hire ultra-high performance vehicles on that basis. Every man and his dog events will always be supervised by an instructor, and wouldn't be on the open road.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Registration came back to a different vehicle, which I'd say is reason enough to warrant stopping it.

The insurance company only corrected their records after the incident.
Of course it should be stopped if it comes back on an anpr check. I suspect that the backstory was simply that the driver had changed vehicles.

classic33

Leg End Member
Of course it should be stopped if it comes back on an anpr check. I suspect that the backstory was simply that the driver had changed vehicles.
And the insurance company, insuring the wrong vehicle. The plate, for the insured vehicle was showing as belonging to another vehicle. Which they had insured. Who supplies the details of the vehicle insured status?

Can a plate be showing on two vehicles and still cover both.

Driver made the error of not checking and blamed the police. Blame his insurance company and they may just have said he wasn't covered.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My SiL's boss has a Ferrari with no front plate...... apparently it spoils the looks. He reckons the police wont do anything as they know that the mega rich will fight it and its just not worth the hassle.
Good to see Mr Plod taking action.

I have a friend with an Audi R8 and he has been running it front plate-less for two plus years.

How he gets away with it baffles me.

DRM

Guru
I really doubt that. Hire companies don't hire like that because cars don't survive and/or insurers won't hire ultra-high performance vehicles on that basis. Every man and his dog events will always be supervised by an instructor, and wouldn't be on the open road.
You’ve obviously never been near Bradford during a wedding, they do hire them, and then thrash the life out of the thing, these aren’t “events” just nobbers that get away with murder due to a lack of police officers on the ground, in fact the driving round Bradford is so bad it affects everyone else’s insurance premiums for a good 10 mile circumference of the damn place & the council have put bollards up on known rat runs to try and help prevent idiots getting away too easily, it’s the capital of uninsured drivers.
My gut feeling is these hire firms are just laundering drug money, but that’s just what I think.
Also look at the link Accy added, that’s exactly what I’m talking about, read the comments under the article

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You’ve obviously never been near Bradford during a wedding, they do hire them, and then thrash the life out of the thing, these aren’t “events” just nobbers that get away with murder due to a lack of police officers on the ground, in fact the driving round Bradford is so bad it affects everyone else’s insurance premiums for a good 10 mile circumference of the damn place & the council have put bollards up on known rat runs to try and help prevent idiots getting away too easily, it’s the capital of uninsured drivers.
My gut feeling is these hire firms are just laundering drug money, but that’s just what I think.
Also look at the link Accy added, that’s exactly what I’m talking about, read the comments under the article
No I haven't. Are you saying that's the norm across the UK?

Not sure what relevance I'm supposed to read into an accident regarding a renovated RR - or the 3 comments?

classic33

Leg End Member
Local company were caught doing just this. And were closed down, more than once. And to be honest the same thought crossed my mind, given the no insurance part.

A few years ago now a Spyder was wrapped around a tree, having hit the tree travelling backwards. Driver and passengers claimed to be doing no more than 30mph, at the time control of the car was lost.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Local company were caught doing just this. And were closed down, more than once. And to be honest the same thought crossed my mind, given the no insurance part.

A few years ago now a Spyder was wrapped around a tree, having hit the tree travelling backwards. Driver and passengers claimed to be doing no more than 30mph, at the time control of the car was lost.
Youtube contains lots of footage of people losing control at relatively low speeds - injudicious use of throttle & steering inputs with lots of power is an unforgiving combination.

My SiL's boss has a Ferrari with no front plate...... apparently it spoils the looks. He reckons the police wont do anything as they know that the mega rich will fight it and its just not worth the hassle.
Good to see Mr Plod taking action.
Yes, I've sometimes seen "supercars" where the plate does spoil the looks.
But not exactly clever design is it to design something like that?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's more that the fine will be nominal, with no consequences for the driver's licence. In the grand scheme of things it's of little consequence, I suspect, especially at a time when resources are stretched, notwithstanding that 20K more police are arriving Wednesday week!

Top Bottom