Good allround tyre

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by wehey, 3 Aug 2012.

1. wehey

wehey New Member

Hiya all.
    I am gradually getting my bike together and new tyres are next on my shopping list.
    I currently have a huge 10 year old knobbly tyre on the back and a halfords cheapy on the front.

My riding is about 75% road and 25% off road. My current rear tyre is great off road but drags badly on the tarmac.
    I have done a bit of research and the maxxis holy roller seems quite popular.

Am I looking at the right kinda tyre for my needs or could someone suggest something more suitable?
    Thanks in advance

2. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

I just got a CAADX 5 which came with schwalbe Sammi-slicks on it. Have done some very rough trails with it so far and even though they're only 35mm they didn't miss a beat.

On the road Ive been cruising at almost roadie speeds, I'm blown away with how well they roll.

I'm not experienced in tyres of this type though, so I have nothing to compare them to.

3. 'Good alround tyre'! Brilliant!

Norm likes this.
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

I thought all tyres were round anyway

5. Psycolist

Psycolist NINJA BYKALIST

You've never ridden in a Bombay taxi then ! Ha :thumbsdown:

6. I've had more then my share that were flat at the bottom :whistle:

7. OP
    OP
    wehey

wehey New Member

What are the Maxxis Holy Rollers like? Are they smooth for road riding ?

8. A couple of guys at work have used them and seem to like them when they commute, don't know anymore than that though.

9. OP
    OP
    wehey

wehey New Member

Bump for some more suggestions :smile:

10. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

What do you call "off road"? I ride mostly on road but often also ride gravel or hardpacked earth trails (forestry roads, bridleways, occasional singletrack) and find a touring tyre works for me.

My knockabout bike has these currently fitted but I'm considering some Schwalbe Landcruisers for the winter.

11. defy-one

defy-one Guest

I have .... All the way to Bangalore ..... Wasn't fun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice