Good and cheap accommodation in Deal and Sandwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Hope this is allowed Mods. It's a shameless plug for accommodation for cyclists/wildlife enthusiasts/ golfers and anyone else that wants to visit the area.

Having just retired after 30yrs in the Police i have got myself a small part time job as a housekeeper at my local bird observatory in Sandwich Bay.
http://sbbot.org.uk

The observatory has accommodation for 18 at £30 a night for anybody travelling in the area for any reason, doesn't have to be wildlife connected so it could be ideal for any of you cycle touring in the area.

It's in an amazing location, good hot showers, Wi-Fi, big kitchen to sort your own meals, 10 minute ride from Sandwich, 20 minute ride from Deal and 10 minute walk to the beach. It sits between 3 links golf courses, Royal St George's 5 minute walk, Princes and The Cinque Ports both within 20 minute walks so also excellent got the Golfers amongst you especially with the Open coming up. The cycling is really lovely in the area too.

If anyone needs anymore details please feel free to PM me.

:smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
You might want to get the web site fixed for the location map.
(I know roughly where you are)

You should also have the address/post code on the main home page

upload_2018-11-27_13-53-35.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the cycle parking like? Is the £1 toll charged to bicycles too?

15 miles from Dover could make it an interesting stop for some variations of London-Paris and the North Sea Coast Route, avoiding the pressure of getting to a prebooked late-night ferry.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Cyclists go through the toll free of charge. The toll is there because it's on a private estate.

I don't think they would have a problem with you having cycles in your room. It's so quiet down there and dare I say it, crime free. If it becomes popular with cyclists then I have no doubt the trust would consider secure and dry cycle parking.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cyclists go through the toll free of charge. The toll is there because it's on a private estate.

I don't think they would have a problem with you having cycles in your room. It's so quiet down there and dare I say it, crime free. If it becomes popular with cyclists then I have no doubt the trust would consider secure and dry cycle parking.
I suggest putting those notes on the website, in case it wasn't obvious. Going for Bike-friendly (who runs that?) or Cyclists Welcome listings might help attract some.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Now that I did not know!
Also from the web site there is no mention that the accommodation is on Kings Avenue.
(Unless you are deliberately keeping the exact location of the accommodation secret in case the birds or wild cyclists find out)
It sits just opposite Kings Avenue. If coming from Sandwich it's about 100yrds prior to Kings Avenue on the right.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That toll used to be 20p when I was last there. It sounds lovely, are there family rooms?

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

All going very well thank you. The place is undergoing some renovations this year and will have an en-suite room by Easter. The plan is for all rooms to be en-suite eventually. Bookings are flying in and due to the Golf Open next door at Royal St Georges we are packed solid during July and part of June and August.

For those of you that are Birders we have had a huge grant from the Heritage Lottery and have completely transformed our scrape. We now have two hides and the birds are returning in droves. We had a Glossy Ibis stay for a few weeks before Xmas.

Top Bottom