England : West Yorkshire Good Companions 200 audax 15th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Has anyone else entered this: Good Companions 200 on 15th June, West Yorks.

I tried the 120k Mini North-West Passage audax in early 2012 and, having decided I needed to do another, it's been 2 years! My first experience wasn't that great tbh; equipment failure in the first 5 miles, then a wet ride to the control, followed by a further issue. The bike was new and I'd not set it up right.

Having done a pile of sportives in 2013, including the Etape du Dales and Dragon Ride Gran Fondo, plus some racing I've looked at doing this.

Anyone else riding it?

Last edited:
I did it last year but as a permanent not the official Audax ride. Nice route, nothing too lumpy in it.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm doing the "Three Coasts" on the same weekend, if I recall the second day of it is similar to the "Good Companions" as I rode with a few of the entrants on it last year and I think we more or less or set off together on the Sunday morning. But I have not compared route cards so there may be a bit of a difference overall

Something tells me its going to be a wet one

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm doing the "Three Coasts" on the same weekend, if I recall the second day of it is similar to the "Good Companions" as I rode with a few of the entrants on it last year and I think we more or less or set off together on the Sunday morning. But I have not compared route cards so there may be a bit of a difference overall

Something tells me its going to be a wet one

@zacklaws - it's the same route. Weather forecast doesn't seem too bad at the moment.
Actually ... :whistle:
The Good Companions entrant's letter said:
The Good Companions gives you the opportunity to join the riders of The 3 Coasts 600 as they are on their last legs, on the last leg of their ride. The route covers much of the second part of The 3 Coasts 600, but substitutes a tour of the Fylde for the 600’s visit to Blackpool.
:thumbsup:

zacklaws

Guru
I'm looking forward to it again, I don't like the first day as its mostly on my own territory, but the second day is brilliant.

But things are not going well, my best bike the one I was going to ride has broke and has been sent back to the factory, I may get it back if I'm lucky.....so I am now having to do it on my cross bike and trying to get it as light as possible.........my sat nav I was ging to use is playing up......and to top it all.......I'm full of cold/flu.......must have been when I hit a cattle grid too fast trying to get home quick in the torrential rain on Saturday and punctured and had to fix it in the rain and got a bit cold.......or it might have been from riding in the rain a few days earlier.

tubbycyclist

Three Coasts for me too, I suspect that the diversion to Blackpool means I will miss the Good Companion riders so don't eat all the apple crumble :-)

zacklaws

Guru
I don't really know where the Good Companions go, but I recall last year, we formed a group at some point just after Blackpool and Glossop Dock

pizzicatooff

An update on the Coasts 600s and The Good Companions 200.

The cafe that is our preferred control in Whalley Abbey on the way back from Blackpool/Glasson Dock has failed to re-open this year, so we're having to do a free choice of control in the centre of Whalley.

The route sheet that's been sent to entrants has instructions on how to find suitable controls after that cafe closed anyway. However, I've updated the route sheets to reflect the changes. Updated versions are available at the aukweb event pages i.e
3 Coasts - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-226/
E&W Coasts - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-319/
Good Companions - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-934/

I've also updated the GPS files for the E&W Coasts on that event's aukweb page, as there was a problem with the Mytholmroyd - West Coast - Mytholmroyd section.

If there are any queries about any of this, please get in touch.

In answer to queries about the availability of food on the Friday evening, I think I'll be busy setting the control up rather than cooking, so the food available is likely to be just cakes/biscuits plus Saturday morning's breakfast.

Regards,

Chris

Top Bottom