Good grief, What's happened to Coronation street..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi .
The weather's pretty rubbish at the moment to go out cycling so I started to watch the omnibus Corrie..
Blimey what happened to the Corrie I used to remember. Years ago it full of humour and light hearted story lines with the likes of Jack and Vera and Stan and Hilda.
Today's episodes of a row of terrace house was about mass murderers, rape and blackmail and evil plotting. At the end ,a voice over even suggests if you've been affected by any of these issues contact blah blah blah.
Its a shame that such a once easy going program has been lowered to being so dark and depressing. Some of the scenes are not what I would call suitable for younger viewers any more (call me old fashioned ).

TVC

I never watch the programme, but two women in the office are saying similar things. Both have been life long addicts but they are talking about packing it in as it is so dark and depressing.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Watched it regularly when Ena Sharples and Minnie sat in the snug.
Watched it less in the 70s.
I think I saw some in the 80s (cant recall).
Not watched any since.
As the OP says it seems a million miles away from the original concept.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I gave up on Corrie when they killed off Derek Wilton... Mavis left the show soon afterwards. That was '96ish and the show had already begun its slippery slide into shoutfest it's become. I catch it occasionally at a friend's house who watches all three soaps. I can hardly tell which one's which these days.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Gave up on Corrie a while ago.
It's following EastEnders down the doom and gloom road.

TVC

Gave up on Corrie a while ago.
It's following EastEnders down the doom and gloom road.
As I said above I don't watch either, but the last few weeks I've caught the last couple of minutes of Eastenders when I've been settling in for Masterchef. Everyone is either scowling, shouting, crying or trying to look menacing, it beats me how anyone could get any enjoyment from watching such misery and conflict.

Stan and Hilda on the other hand were fantastic to watch back in the day.

Sandra6

Veteran
We stopped watching emmerdale and corrie at the beginning of the year because of the ridiculous story lines and total absence of realism.
Gave up on eastenders years ago for the same reason.
I sort of want to know what happens, but when I watch an episode I'm shouting at the telly within minutes so I switch it off again!

gbb

Legendary Member
It's all so predictable. My wife partakes and I sit shaking my head. Predictable...new character comes along, seems nice but soon to realise he/she is manipulative/ devious. Despite terrible deeds, subject still seems to be accepted by most and deeds get worse.
FFWD probably 2 years, devious character gets his come uppance in a crescendo of wrong doing...only to find he has probably got away with it....again. Yawn...its the same, whatever the soap. Lack of imaginative writers.

Gawld knows what folk from other countries think...we're constantly portrayed as having deviant misfits right in our midst...and are too thick to realise it or do anything about it. Bears no relation to real life anymore.

Top Bottom